Lurking in the shadow of the BRP

dirtup

dirtup here, new member from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, where we have great riding in all directions. Some winters you can ride a lot; others very little. Last year there were lots of good winter riding days, but I think this year it's going to be very little. Lots of time to lurk and probably upgrade to an FJ.

A buddy I've been riding with since the '60's got me hooked on an FZ-1 a few years back. Recently, when I told him that my right hand was cramping a lot on the last road trip and that cruise control seemed to be the answer, he noted that the Tracer GT has CC. So I'm lurking with the idea of upgrading from my trusty Bandit 1250 to some sort of FJ. Past Yamahas have also included several IT's, a 750 shaft triple, and an FJ-1200.  Since there a few FJ-09's on the market with aftermarket CC, I may not have to buy new to get in on the fun.

As a retiree, I can take off for a day ride whenever conditions allow. There are one or more longer rides every year, too. The upper corners of the country [MT and ME] have been favorites in recent years. When going solo, I tend to get more smiles by riding more miles, but there are a few buddies here who like to tour together; we usually trailer to a central base and then take day or overnight runs in all directions from there.

One feature of the FJ that leaves me concerned is the speed limiter. When out West it's often safe to exceed 115 - sometimes for many miles on end. There's one particular used 2016 nearby that has YES until mid-'22. The dealer has said that modifications to the ECU are OK if he does them. Can anyone here confirm that a dealer can remove the limiter and keep YES in force?

tia, dirtup 

• Premium Member
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think getting an after market flash, will void your warranty. After all, they provide the ability to change the values, so anyone should be able to change them. A lot of us have aftermarket flashes, and I haven't heard anyone having this kind of issue since the FJ-09 came out in 2015. It sounds like the dealer is just trying to squeeze you for some more money.

I do find the bike gets a bit squirrely at high speed, not sure how fast you want to go, or for how long, but it is certainly a fun bike to ride....

Yeah, the Bandit gets a little light in the front above about 120 if the top case is on [V46, with V35 panniers]. Otherwise it feels pretty good up to about 140, which is as fast as I've taken it. This is with Cogent suspension on both ends and a Dale Walker Stage II, PR4's, EBC pads, etc. I don't mind making a few mods to sort out triple-digit manners; are there any known cures, or is the issue inherent in the bike's design?
Possibly lighter weight is the root of the problem. I hope not, because lighter weight is what attracts me to the bike. Various K and R Beemers, as well as my Concours 1400, have all felt rock steady in the 130-140 range. Even a Street Glide feels stable in truck traffic at 80-90 mph.
Riding the slab among the behemoths is not a preferred activity unless absolutely required. But often out West there is a strong breeze to deal with, and pretty much any bike is going to move around some in those conditions. Can anyone speak from experience about the bike's behavior in stiff winds?
Maybe I should be looking at a 2013+ FJR or an older R1200RT.
dirtup

• Premium Member
That's pretty country, the Shenandoah Valley.  I get over there a couple of times per year.  Not far from there might be a good spot for an east coast FJ gathering.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Archived