Question on spacers on rear wheel

I just got through changing the rear tire on my Tracer 900 GT. There are 2 spacers on the rear wheel, one on the left and one on the right. It's obvious which is which - the left is bigger but I was just watching a YouTube video and the guy was saying that each had to be put back with the correct side inside - that there was some machining the meant they had to be replaced the correct way.

When I was putting mine back in, the 2 sides of each looked identical. Did I miss something. The wheel went back on OK as far as I can tell.

Also is the axle nut torque really 100 ft/lb?

I’m pretty sure you’re correct, they’re symmetrical and can go back either orientation. And yes, the torque figure is huge ????

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
Here's a spacer showing wear (37,000km). The seal and the spacer wear together. You should re-assemble in the same orientation, just like you would bearings. That's probably what they meant.

20181118-073317.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I just got through changing the rear tire on my Tracer 900 GT. There are 2 spacers on the rear wheel, one on the left and one on the right. It's obvious which is which - the left is bigger but I was just watching a YouTube video and the guy was saying that each had to be put back with the correct side inside - that there was some machining the meant they had to be replaced the correct way. 
When I was putting mine back in, the 2 sides of each looked identical. Did I miss something. The wheel went back on OK as far as I can tell.

Also is the axle nut torque really 100 ft/lb?
I use 90 ft. lbs.  and never had a wheel fall off. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived