400km circuit in sunny Queensland

wordsmith

For the first time in ages I had a decent ride out today, putting in a little over 400km of mixed roads in balmy bright sunny weather with no humidity and temps between a start of 21°C (70°F) and finish of 26°C (79°F).   Couldn’t be nicer.

I was running-in my new DRI-RIDER jacket, winter weight but with the quilted lining removed.   This jacket matches my other DRI-RIDER jacket, that one being the full mesh summer jacket.   The appearance, style, and light grey colours are the same on both, essential IMHO to reflect sun in this semi-tropic part of the globe.   All-black simply wouldn’t cut it.

The newly-positioned NavMan sat-nav doesn’t suit in its new position atop my DIY anti-glare hood over the instruments.   It vibrated too much – not so much that I couldn’t read it but it was an annoyance and a distraction.   I’ll now relocate it into its original position between the handlebar mounts – that location requires a glance downwards, whereas in its current position it does not, but I can deal with that.   

At least, I think I can - and if not I'll bin it!   I am cautious about being distracted while riding, which is why I’ve never used sat-nav before, despite it being OE on my last two BMW boxer twins, an R1200R and R1200GS, nor do I listen to music while riding.   The point was emphasised on the way home today when the lhs mirror came loose – obviously not tightened sufficiently by me when installing the mirror extenders – and that proved a real distraction.   At one point I momentarily fiddled with it, and looked up to find myself heading for a ditch!   Aaarrrggghhh!

Back home I tightened it up and put the appropriate Allen-head key into the bike’s tool kit, just in case. 

Now planning a trip in mid-May to Melbourne and back to visit my #1 son at his pleasant farmlet at Littler River, about 45km W of Melbourne’s CBD.   About 1800 to 2200km each way, depending on my chosen routes, but should be pleasant riding in this mid-Autumn, even though Summer has only just relinquished its grip!  

P1050234.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I look forward to a report and pics of the Melbourne trip. I was on a flight from Melbourne to Brisbane last year and I had a nice time looking out the window at various NSW back roads. Next time I'm in Australia I may need to plan some time off and rent a bike.

The flight-path from Melbourne to Brisbane (or vv) and the shortest, most direct road of about 1800km (primarily the Newell and Princes Hwys), travel over some of the more boring parts of the country, at least as far as mobiking would be concerned.   But there's plenty more to make up for it!   And plenty of bike rental businesses, not that I've ever had to use one myself of course.   Lemme know if you want any contacts in due course.

P1050268.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 4/8/2019 at 2:27 AM, keithu said:

I look forward to a report and pics of the Melbourne trip. I was on a flight from Melbourne to Brisbane last year and I had a nice time looking out the window at various NSW back roads. Next time I'm in Australia I may need to plan some time off and rent a bike.

This was a GS ride of some years ago.   I have PM'd you the words.

P1050270.JPG

Archived