Uniden DFR9 Radar Detector and TaoTronics BA-12 Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver

I decided to go ahead and purchase a radar detector.  My reasons:

• Driving patterns around here have changed a lot in the past couple years.  Drivers often exceed the speed limits on some of the local roads and freeways.  I've never been close to being pulled over on those roads — yet.  I've seen others though in that unenviable position on the side of the road.  And who sticks out in a crowd?  The one motorcyclist who must be driving fast in comparison to the soccer mom in her SUV.
  • Freeways.  The Washington State Patrol used to have such a reputation that when drivers crossed the border from Oregon, they slowed down.  Not any more.  They still pull over a lot of people when rush hour is over, but there are so many going by over the speed limit, it reminds me of Kodiak bears snagging salmon out of the rapids.  A lot get by, but some get caught.  It is safer IMHO to go with the flow of traffic than to stick to the speed limit and have cars going around you.
  • Back country roads.  One of my favorite rides is up to Artist Point.  It's 3 hours each way and about an hour of the ride is on a two-lane country road that is only 50 mph...and invites 60 mph.  On a couple trips, I've seen outside one little community, the local sheriff lying in wait.  I have no doubt that if I was exceeding the speed limit as I rounded that bend, that I'd get a performance award.
  • If I'm leading a group ride, I keep to within 5 mph of the speed limit.  I also go with some other riders where I'm not leading, and when they get outside of traffic, they'll "make progress" as the LEOs in England would say.  The speeds aren't above what I'm very comfortable with on those roads, but I don't want to rely on the lead guy with the detector being the one who keeps me from getting a performance award.

So when my wife surprisingly :shock: said she was surprised I didn't have one already...who am I to say no?  Besides, I like gadgets.  I wouldn't ordinarily say that, but I started looking at my bike and I have a voltage indicator, GPS, front and rear dash camera, helmet mounted camera...and now a radar detector.  If you have ideas on what I "need" on my F800GT for another gadget, please let me know. :D

So I got the Uniden DFR9 from Costco.  Why Costco?  If I decided this wasn't for me, it is extremely easy to make a return.  Their prices are generally good.  And on electronics, they often have something that is top of the line.  Turns out, the DFR9 is just that.

Reviews are generally good when you can find them.  Most of the reviews are really only a means to get you to buy from that particular website with about as many facts and data as you'll find in a magazine review on the F800GT.  Often just a restatement of the manufacturer's press release.

One review did say that in this price category, the Uniden DFR9 was the best in that class.  That was at the suggested MSRP of about $350.  Costco is selling this at $260.

Features:

• GPS.  The advantage here is you can mark locations to ignore, like in front of your local grocery store with the automatic doors.
  • Filtering.  I feel like it is filtering out a lot of the automatic doors on its own.
  • Automatic muting.  The first two beeps are loud enough to catch your attention...but then it drops in volume considerably so that if you're stuck at a traffic light, it is very tolerable.  And if you want, just press the "Mute" button and all is silent.
  • Configuration.  In addition to a Highway and City mode, you can adjust about 30 individual settings.  After I get used to this detector, I may turn off all the K band alerts.  Those are almost always automatic doors and collision avoidance systems on the cars around you.
  • Red Light Camera alerts.  I know where most of these are, but it helps to have the reminder.
  • Speed cameras.  There was one ahead at a local school that I was warned about.  Nice.

The only disadvantage I can find on this unit is that it isn't waterproof.  A plastic sandwich sized zip lock bag works perfectly for it.

Now...how to be notified of an alert?  This is critical if the radar detector is to do you any good.  Most radar detector websites are pushing only a light system.  Either one on a dashboard, or one attached to the inside of your helmet.  I didn't like either idea. 

Enter the TaoTronics BA-12 Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver.  It's a small unit that plugs into the earphone socket on the Uniden DFR9.  I attached it with velcro.  It works like a charm. :)  The BT connection is easily paired with the Sena 10C Pro headset I have.  If an alert comes up, the DFR9 tells me of the alert and what band it is in.  Cost is $30.  There's a cheaper version for $20, but I liked the TX/RX capability of this one.  The size is smaller than one of those small matchstick boxes.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fws-fe.amazon-adsystem.c

Now how to mount it?  I'm partial to RAM mounts.  They simply work.  So I got these parts from GPS City.

• ramb309-7.jpg  RAM Mount Aluminum Motorcycle Mount Base Kit with Reservoir and U-Bolt Hardware
  • rapb200-12.jpgRAM Mount Plastic Double 1 inch dia Socket Arm with 360 deg Center Rotation
  • rap300-1.jpg  RAM Mount Rubber Power Plate III Magnetic Holder

Here's what it looks like:

On this picture, you can see the BT transmitter on the side.  It's small.

Is this for everyone?  Probably not.  But I think it'll work for me.  

Chris

Edited by daboo

The last 2 lg pix didn't come thru. I'm looking at Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.  

TPX-RADARDETECTOR-2T.jpg
WWW.RADARBUSTERS.COM

Discover why Radar Roy rated the TPX Motorcycle radar detector as being one of the best motorcycle detectors for weekend warriors!

this is the 1 and others I ride with use it and it works well. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I think the picture links are fixed now.

It's probably an excellent detector too.  The rider I was referring to in one of my excuses for buying this has one.  I've seen some reviews (somewhere) that made it sound like it was mediocre.  But...it has served my friend well.

The Uniden DFR9 that I got at Costco has worked well...sort of.  It hasn't prevented me from getting any tickets...but then I haven't been in a situation to need the warning.  :D  I like it though, and for the cost, it is worth keeping.  A zip lock bag works great for keeping it dry.  And if I was in a lot of rain, I'd be going slow enough to not need it anyway.  If I decide in a week or so that it isn't what I want, Costco has a no questions asked return policy.  I couldn't get that from Radar Roy, I'm sure.

I chuckled when I read the part you quoted of "one of the best motorcycle detectors for weekend warriors".  It's really the only one that is designed for a motorcycle.  So that was an easy statement to make.

Edited by daboo

Good idea.

So, a couple questions...

1 - Do you have your phone paired to your GPS?

2 - Do you listen to music on your GPS?

3 - What is the priority of the Alert if the 2 above are Yes?

4 - Will the Alert simply be a little louder than the music and/or muting music?

I have a passport and hardwired to the Sena 20s and works pretty well but would be good to get rid of the wire...

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mellow said:

Good idea.

So, a couple questions...

1 - Do you have your phone paired to your GPS?

2 - Do you listen to music on your GPS?

3 - What is the priority of the Alert if the 2 above are Yes?

4 - Will the Alert simply be a little louder than the music and/or muting music?

I have a passport and hardwired to the Sena 20s and works pretty well but would be good to get rid of the wire...

Thanks!

To answer your questions, Joe...

1. My phone is paired to the GPS.

2. I listen to music on my GPS.

3. When I connect the BT transmitter though, all that drops off.

4.  Moot point.

Here's some pics of what the BT connections look like.

Without the TaoTronics BT transmitter on:

With the TaoTronics BT transmitter on:

I think the "limitation" is in the Sena BT headset.  My understanding is that BT headsets connect with the GPS through the same way that they connect to phones.  In fact, when my Sena BT headset connects to the GPS, I think it says something like "Phone connected".  So the Sena is making one cell phone connection to the GPS and another to your smartphone.  Now when you add the TaoTronics BT transmitter to the connections, something has to drop off.  There are two "cell phone" connections available and three devices trying to connect.

That's just my theory, Joe.  Bottom line is that when I have the TaoTronics transmitter running, I don't have music from either the smartphone or the GPS.  The FM radio in the Sena doesn't play any sound either.  I get just GPS instructions and warnings (schools, speed limit changes, etc.)

To me, it is worth it.  I can't see the radar detector in my line of sight, so probably wouldn't notice any warning quick enough to react.  I'd probably see the blue and red lights first.  😮 The other option besides a audible warning in the helmet speakers is a small LED that is fitted to the inside of the helmet.  I may go that way eventually, but I like the audible warning for me at this time.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using it almost daily on my bike.  Most of the time, the warnings are not LEOs.  But recently, there have been a few.  Would I have gotten a ticket?  Hard to say.  I generally stay within 5-10 mph of the speed limit, but if there's no other traffic to pace, then it is easy to find your speed has crept up to the performance award level.

I was riding east of the mountains on Monday and as I'm coming into Twisp, I heard the detector go off.  This time, the detector kept at it...till the local sheriff came around the turn.

Sunday night, I was coming back from the prison and the Washington State Patrol had a speed trap set up.  Sneaky the way they did it too.  Right around a bend and in a break in the concrete middle barrier for emergency vehicles to turn around in...and just on the other side of a drop in the speed limit.  

And last night as I was heading to the prison, I was getting a constant warning as I pulled into Monroe.  I'm looking all over for the LEO and presently see him coming toward me on a motorcycle.  Monroe is famous for pulling speeders over.  The speed limit is 25 mph.

Again, would I have gotten a ticket in any of those situations?  Not sure.  But I also like the gadgets.  ;)

Chris