Help with suspension

BFUNCK

I know the front suspension on the Yamaha Tracer 900GT is adjustable. I weight in at about 175 lbs. I was wondering if anyone had a base line for the front suspension. I am a used to riding more of a sport bike. So I am ok with a stiffer front. I am no mechanic and was just hoping for a base line setting. 

I have experienced the over 100mph "wobble" and will be lowering the tubes the recommended 10mm in the triple trees. Thank you in advance for any help you guys and gals can give me. 

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, BFUNCK said:

I have experienced the over 100mph "wobble" and will be lowering the tubes the recommended 10mm in the triple trees. Thank you in advance for any help you guys and gals can give me. 

I think you mean "raising" the forks in the triple trees.  The common amount that most raise the forks is 5-10mm above the top of the top clamp, - 5-10mm of gold showing.

As for suspension settings, that is very subjective.  Figure how many clicks you have and open 1/3 from full closed as a start point.  Turn the clicker clockwise to fully closed, if you have 24 clicks then open it (counter clockwise) 8 clicks.  Go for a test ride and then adjust from there.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

First you want to set your sag. at 175lb you should be right, but I have found the front springs are rather soft.

On street bikes, I typically setup forks to  sit at 30% of full travel with me on it. With the preload maxed out it was at 36%. It'll do for now, new springs at some point down the track.

I only weigh in at 220lb. I would have thought with the decent pillion setup on these bikes I'd have a little more to work with on the forks.

Anyway, next setup your rebound damping. Push down on your forks and release, all in one motion. On release, you want them to fully extend then land back in the default position. No bouncing. Repeat for the rear, same applies. 

Next is compression damping. As you only have this up front, all you can really do for a starting point is aim to match the stiffness of the rear. You want your bike to be balanced. Push down on the seat and handlebar, front and rear should move down and up in a uniformed manner. 

Archived