headlamp adjustment

wessie

• Premium Member
As mentioned in another post, the user manual does not tell you how to adjust your headlamps.

Most people can see the round, twiddly knobs on each side of the instrument cluster. These adjust the lamps in the vertical plane. Clockwise will lower the beam.

If you look on the rear of each lamp, just below the round knob, you will see a silver coloured, hex nut. This adjusts the lamp right to left. Turn clockwise to move the beam to the right.

headlampadjuster.jpg
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
This was one of my first mods lowering the high intensity beam to the height of the low beam, to allow for constant city nighttime usage. Louisiana US laws state that the main intensity beam of the headlights must not shine higher than the height of the headlight at 25 yards. I havent had any oncoming drivers flash me since Ive made the adjustment
S2v0LJi.jpg

Wait.... you're saying the 'high intensity' beam is a different power than the low? I thought hi/low just referred to the direction the beam is aimed, not the power... by lowering your high beam, aren't you just creating two low beams?
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Wait.... you're saying the 'high intensity' beam is a different power than the low? I thought hi/low just referred to the direction the beam is aimed, not the power... by lowering your high beam, aren't you just creating two low beams?

My high-beam was set for plane spotting so I've adjusted it to be more functional.

The high beam is clearly a brighter led than the low beam led.  Now whether its more leds or more voltage or a different reflection angle Im not sure.  This is one of the first OEM bikes with LED headlights.  If any of the LED's fail the headlight is replaced as an assembly at $600 dollars.  These are not conventional bulbs that can be replaced separately.

The high beam is clearly a brighter led than the low beam led.  Now whether its more leds or more voltage or a different reflection angle Im not sure.  This is one of the first OEM bikes with LED headlights.  If any of the LED's fail the headlight is replaced as an assembly at $600 dollars.  These are not conventional bulbs that can be replaced separately.
That is a steep price for replacing a single LED, i'm sure at least 700% markup if thats the case.  I would imagine that would be something covered under the Y.E.S. right?

That would almost make me want to try to retrofit a FZ headlight on there if it happened out of warranty!  I dug into in a bit further and both the low beam and high beam headlights have 18 watt 12 volt power supply going to them so the reflection angle is more concentrated on high beam.

• Premium Member
That is a steep price for replacing a single LED, i'm sure at least 700% markup if thats the case.  I would imagine that would be something covered under the Y.E.S. right?
I hadn't thought about it, but I probably should have because according to one of my friends with a wasserboxer the LED lights on the new R1200GS are something like $1600, also replaced as one unit.  That's so expensive that protectors are a very common farkle, nobody wants a stray stone to cost that much. 
The upside is that LEDs ought to have a lifetime far beyond that of incandescents or HID lamps, 10,000 hours or more, essentially one unit for the life of the bike if it doesn't get broken.  Plus they're wicked bright (in my local vernacular).  The FJ's lights are by far the best stock lights of any bike I've ever owned.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived