Front Shocks - Clunk Sound

• Premium Member

Question, I have upgraded cartridges in my front shocks been riding them for probably 3k miles. They work great especially with the 535 rear shock. Sitting still and grabbing the front brake and pulling up hard on the handle bars the back down, shocks are smooth as hell, but I hear small clunks when I do that. Wondering if it’s normal.  knowing what is inside the the shock tubes I’m struggling to figure out what is causing it. I’m not overly concerned, unless I hear otherwise for the folks here. Andreani inserts. Any insight would be worth a beer or two. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

I’m going to get a video with sound (obviously) posted. I ride too fast to have an unknown possible issue  in my front shocks.  I’m not a huge fan of either Yamaha dealer near me especially when it comes to stuff like this.  I’ve learned more on this site than any one general dealer mechanic has in the brain matter area when it comes to the -09

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

I’m going to get a video with sound (obviously) posted. I ride too fast to have an unknown possible issue  in my front shocks.  I’m not a huge fan of either Yamaha dealer near me especially when it comes to stuff like this.  I’ve learned more on this site than any one general dealer mechanic has in the brain matter area when it comes to the -09

Now that I think about it idiot Lucky Luciano,  no speed is good with potential front suspension issues. 

My modified front forks are much noisier than OEM, with loud sucking noises if I hold the front brake and bounce the shocks. This is due to the larger holes in the cartridges allowing much more fluid movement. I wonder if your noises are related to that and perhaps the little one-way valves clicking shut when the fluid direction flow reverses?

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it’s actually the fluid moving. Not sure why it jumped out to me as something I should be concerned about and why it was so loud that day. And yes, way louder than stock when it comes to pushing fluid though small holes. 

• Premium Member

Yup - in fact it's a combination of all the answers I got back.  I guess I was overly paranoid that day.  I hopped on a new 2020 the other day and ran the same test.  Yes, the Andreani cartridges move much more fluid and it's noticeably louder.

Thanks for all the replies

• Thumbsup 1