GPR steering damper/stabilizer

I had mentioned that I found the bike a bit wayward when pushed hard, and more so with the hard cases fitted. This led me to purchase a GPR damper. The unit was  listed for the MT-09/FZ-09, but I took the risk on the fittings being pretty similar to the FJ/Tracer. I have posted a long thread on the fitting of the unit and issues to be aware of - Here

Anyroadup, I went out today to test the stabilizer/damper. It was cold and windy and I had my Yamaha hard city cases mounted.

Whilst it was noticeable at slow speeds of up to 30mph that there was a gentle resistance in the steering, it didn't cause any problems with manoeuvring. I built up to riding fast and accelerating hard in a straight line at first, and there were no wobbles. I started riding hard out of bends to the stage where the traction control was cutting in, and there were no wobbles. I then rode the bends hard and drove hard out of the deliberately riding on the cats eyes, and there were no wobbles. I manually tried to induce instability by shaking the handlebars, the bike just stayed stable and corrected itself immediately upon me stopping shaking it. I rode at high speed amoungst the turbulent traffic on dual carriageways, again there was no problem.

So my personal issue has been solved. I am happy that the bike is now stable even with luggage fitted at an indicated 135mph (on a private road)'ish. I feel that it has the high speed and cornering stability of a much heavier bike like my Super Tenere, but with the quick steering and excitement of my MT-09 street tracker.

Job done  8-)

Thanks Scuff for the review.  Although I haven't had the indicated problem, I own a GPR4 and have thought of installing it just in case.  Knowing that I could do 135mph, if I could (US neutered version) I might reflash and at least have that capability if I so desire while in Nevada.

What setting did you try to accomplish the results you noted.  (I see 4 below)
BfKobmY.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I thought that I would post a small update on my experiences with the GPR damper fitted on my tracer.
I had the opportunity to go for a 'spirited' ride from Northampton to Peterborough in company with one of the guys from the motorcycle club. Normally when riding with other club members, we ride at a pace that is comfortable with the slowest rider. But today it was just the tracer and a fireblade.
It was quite cold to start with, around 7*c with gentle winds. A lot of the road salt had been washed away by yesterday's rain, so the surfaces were not too bad. Using normal 'A' roads, our trip would have been around 40 miles, but using nothing but mostly winding roads the distance was around 80 miles.
I was keen to push a bit harder to see if the bike would become unstable at its limits. The damper was set at number 5 of 20. The screen was on its highest setting and my Yamaha city hard panniers were fitted and loaded with about 5kg of weight. Rear suspension was on preload position 4 and 1 turn out on the damping. The fronts showed 4 rings on preload and the damping standard as listed in the manual. Tyre pressures were also set as per the manual.
I used to find that bike would get twitchy and occasionally a quite vigorous head shake would occur when accelerating hard through the gears and passing through the ton. I am pleased to report that the bike felt planted and secure when accelerating hard over bumps and undulations. It was not unsettled when cornering hard over irregular and bumpy road surfaces both in tight and high speed bends. One stretch of very straight road had quite severe undulations which really worked the suspension at high speeds, leaving the ground and landing did not induce any scary moments.
you will all be pleased to hear that our little sports tourer had no problem staying with the Fireblade on these types of roads. Sure, give it a dual carriageway or similar, it would start to pull away above about 120.
The tracer gave me a thoroughly enjoyable sporty ride today, this is where it probably has it's niche in the market. A capable and comfy tourer that can burn it up with the best around our country lanes. It's capabilities are really growing on me.

I too installed the GPR4 on my FJ-09.  I removed it from my FZ to sell, but changed my mind and put it on the FJ.  Here is my report:

Now I finished the install and took the bike on a 650 mile back roads ride to John Day, Oregon and back. About 170 miles of this ride were very twisty with 15-35 mph, warning sign, high speed corners. I started with a setting of 5 and increased it to 10 by the end of the ride. 10 was still good and didn't make the steering hard in anyway while riding, although it did seam to slow the handlebar action down it didn't effect my turn ins and fast transitions in multiple sequential corners. I ran the FZ at 12, so I will leave it at the 10 mark until I get a negative or slow effect or feeling. I must say, that it does give you a more secure feeling overall, but the GPR4 is not needed if you are not having troubles with a head shake or the quickness of the steering. Now if you are new to riding and the quick steering is slowing you down in the corners because it seems so sensitive to even minor input, then this GPR4 will help a lot and slow the steering down so it isn't so quick.

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
I too installed the GPR4 on my FJ-09.  I removed it from my FZ to sell, but changed my mind and put it on the FJ.  Here is my report: 
Now I finished the install and took the bike on a 650 mile back roads ride to John Day, Oregon and back. About 170 miles of this ride were very twisty with 15-35 mph, warning sign, high speed corners. I started with a setting of 5 and increased it to 10 by the end of the ride. 10 was still good and didn't make the steering hard in anyway while riding, although it did seam to slow the handlebar action down it didn't effect my turn ins and fast transitions in multiple sequential corners. I ran the FZ at 12, so I will leave it at the 10 mark until I get a negative or slow effect or feeling. I must say, that it does give you a more secure feeling overall, but the GPR4 is not needed if you are not having troubles with a head shake or the quickness of the steering. Now if you are new to riding and the quick steering is slowing you down in the corners because it seems so sensitive to even minor input, then this GPR4 will help a lot and slow the steering down so it isn't so quick.
Hi - My issue is that on busy freeways with traffic moving in the 65-75 mph range, the front end wiggles due to buffeting.  If I get on the gas to pass, etc., it gets worse.  Very unnerving!On less crowded freeways, back roads, twisties, etc everything is fine -  even up to triple digit speeds (only done on straightaways for passing purposes).  I know the dampener would help, but do you think I would need it to be set so high that it would feel heavy in the twisties or around town?Btw, I have completely replaced the suspension and it is firm.Also, any issues with oil leaks? A lot of older forum reviews complained of oil leaking.
It is a lot of money to solve one scenario, but when the front is wiggling, money suddenly seems like no object.
Thanks, Dale

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Hi - My issue is that on busy freeways with traffic moving in the 65-75 mph range, the front end wiggles due to buffeting.  If I get on the gas to pass, etc., it gets worse.  Very unnerving!On less crowded freeways, back roads, twisties, etc everything is fine -  even up to triple digit speeds (only done on straightaways for passing purposes).  I know the dampener would help, but do you think I would need it to be set so high that it would feel heavy in the twisties or around town?Btw, I have completely replaced the suspension and it is firm.Also, any issues with oil leaks? A lot of older forum reviews complained of oil leaking.
It is a lot of money to solve one scenario, but when the front is wiggling, money suddenly seems like no object.
Thanks, Dale

How many miles do you have on the bike?  The reason I ask is, I wanted to know what tire you are using.  I believe my one only wobble was due to the tire.  I wouldn't buy any hardware until you have run different tires.  Try the Michelin PR3 or 4s.  If you are having a wiggle at 65-70, get rid of that front tire if it is balanced correctly.  Also note that the FJ comes with a not so balanced front cast wheel, causing need for a fair amount of weight to balance the front end. 
GPR4 doesn't use oil.  Setting at 10-11 slows the steering some.  I have done hundreds of miles of tight twisties and would say that it is still easier than the FJR.  The bike being so light will turn fast just by doing an effective lean and light action on the handlebars, and you aren't going to slow it down so as to prevent that action from happening.  I have moved it to 5 for a little quicker action, but in the end felt that the stability on the freeway and sweepers was better then the lighter action of lower setting.  I also feel that the body action (Lean) promotes better riding form over all when going around corners.  Using the handlebars to make the turns, w/o much body movement seams to me to be less smooth and when you are riding fast, and fast jerky action on the bars doesn't seam to be to good of an idea to me.  I think one needs to work with their personal style and dial in the exact pressure and action offered by the GPR4 unit, and that is why it is a good investment.

• Premium Member
Redfjniner - Thanks for the reply!

I have about 6k miles on the bike. Still on the original front (which is still in decent shape), but the rear was changed at ~2500 miles. So OEM D222F front and Roadsmart II rear. I will have the front rim checked very carefully when I get new tires. I am thinking of trying the Pirelli Angel GT's although I have been happy with the Roadsmart's.
The bike is stable except when being buffeted by cars and trucks. Coming off 2 decades on sportbikes I am probably used to being more aerodynamic and not getting blown around. Plus the huge bar, handguards and mirrors all seem to help turbulence push me around.
I do weight the pegs and shift my body in the corners - beyond the physical benefit, I find it shifts my mind 100% into sport mode.

So is it easy to reach the knob to change settings? Might crank it up for any prolonged freeway blasts and drop it for backroads, etc.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Redfjniner - Thanks for the reply! 

So is it easy to reach the knob to change settings? Might crank it up for any prolonged freeway blasts and drop it for backroads, etc.

Cheers
I haven't concluded on what tire I am going to use.  On the front I went through the D222, then a PR4, and now have the Roadsmart 2.  I had my one and only wobble with the RS2 when it was new.  My next set is the Bridgestone T30 Evo, I hear they are really good.  I settled on the PR3's on my FJR and will stay with a PR4 front and PR3 for as long as they sell them.  Old front often cup and will cause a wobble, esp at 45-55mph. 
The GPR4 is Okay to set on the move.

• 1 month later...
I checked my damper mount recently and found a bolt loose. Pulled and cleaned/dried all the bolts for the damper and mounts and put a generous coating of blue loc-tite on all of them. There is also a cross bolt that squeezed the damper tab that was AWOL. Replaced with another bolt after a generous coating of loctite. Of course it's now pouring, so the bike can sit and the loc-tite set...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 2 months later...
Has anybody tried the Chinese copy of a Scott damper that is available on ebay?.

The UK Tracer forum has owners who really like the tube like dampers from China. They have apparently been using them for well over a year now without any problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Damper-With-Mounting-Bracket-for-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-FJ-09-2015-New-/252379271419?hash=item3ac2fa10fb:g:i1AAAOSwrXdXKwLx&vxp=mtr

Archived