Soft Pannier Rack

flyfifer

9 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I don't agree with that at all !

Not all hard cases are created equal and the side opening Givi's on the GT are a pain !

I'm not sure how they would be a pain.  Do you have the inner bags for the side cases?  You pull the inner bag out, get what you want and put it back in.  If you are just jamming stuff in the side cases willy nilly, I see how it could get to be a pain.  Nothing better than having a nice bag in your Givi side cases which remain dry as a bone no matter what the weather.

Givi also makes top loading side cases if that's your thing.  I think those types of side cases look better on a true adventure bike.

Having just come from nice square top loading aluminium boxes, that were bigger, I am still coming to terms with how to get the use of as much of the 2 X 22litres as possible , to reduce what goes in the roll bag.

Hence I might jump to bigger soft panniers.

(I must add that the Givi pannier seals have been excellent in some really wet weather.).

Edited by flyfifer

You could always look for FJR bags or FJR bag lids and update your GT cases.  The GT cases aren't very roomy, but the FJR bags are fine.  The FJR side cases are the same at the GT's except the FJR cases have a domed lid which gives you 10 more liters of storage in each bag.

Also @flyfifer, are you confusing the GT side cases with Givi side cases?  Givi makes 35 and 37 liter side cases which are much larger and lighter than the Yamaha hard bags.  I believe Givi has something to do with the new GT top case.  At least that's what I've heard.  I can't confirm that.  The GT side cases are the old Yamaha side cases from the original FJR from years ago with flat lids on them.  I guess the flatter lid makes the bike more narrow for lane spliting.  Still, the GT side cases are much heavier than any of the V35 or V37 Givi side cases.

I can certainly see why you are disappointed with the GT cases when you are used to the larger top loading ones.

Edited by fjrpittsburgh

The GT cases were exactly the right size for a trip I did recently using Hotels. The close coupled mounting system is excellent.

That is probably the kind of touring the panniers are very well suited to. I knew that when I decided to buy the bike.

I am now exploring options to make it a Camping tourer ,---- without going to massive, wide, panniers. First on the agenda is to design and make a backing plate, for soft panniers, that mounts onto the existing mounting system.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1