Soupy's Lowering link and what to expect

basstodave

Hi all,
I bought some Lust links and the only way they would fit was if I was to grind the weld hitting the shocker link.

I made some links from some stainless steel flat bar with the holes 1.5 mm further apart and they fit fine. I have returned the links and past on this information to the dealer.

The bike does stand a bit more upright on the side stand so I have bought a use stand from a mt09 which I will look at altering .

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any updates from anyone on lowering links? I noticed Soupy's actually removed their links. They mentioned to me awhile back they we're redesigning. I now notice Lust's also says 1.0" with a .80" in seat lowering. I'm curious if they redesigned theirs as well.

I have the Yamaha ones in hand, but I'm wondering if the .60 inches will be enough for would 1.0 be just what I need. Seems silly to look at half an inch, but i seriously need every bit i can get with being 5'5" and having short legs.

I like you need every bit I can get, Let me just say grinding the swingarm is time consuming and downright terrible if you don't have the right tools... If you have the Yamaha ones, I don't think they require grinding, I wish I had gotten those. SOOO much easier.

• 4 months later...
We have sold thousands of lowering links for V-Strom at $45 a set. Yes, just $45 a set. I expect to have a selection of sizes available once we become a supporting vendor. This should occur in the next 30 days.

A note about raising and lowering links. There are people out there that will sell you more change than the bike can safely take. V-Strom community experience determined the maximum safe change up or down on a V-Strom to be 1.125". There will be maximum safe change on an FJ-09 as well. Beyond that and the tire will rub on the inner fender close to full suspension travel. And hard part interference may occur at the other end of the spectrum.

Also changing resting height of the bike affects the usefulness of the center stand and side stands. It will be important to catalog the effects of different height changes here for the benifit of others. There will be a sweet spot in the range of change both up or down where both the side stand and center stand remain useable without modification. Beyond that there will be a safe range of change that will need some change to the side stand or centerstand. And finally a limit to the full safe range of change.

• 3 months later...
Soupy's has returned the lowering links to their website after redesigning them. I have been in contact with Mike "Soupy" Brandt, and he asked that I inform the forum of the part being back on the site. They have a special going on for the links and adjustable side stand package right now.
I got 1 1/4" SPM links and adjustable stand through my dealer, and the stand didn't fit up properly, so I returned it and ordered just the adjustable stand from Soupy's. I'm waiting for it now, so I haven't been able to ride with the links yet. AAAArrrrgh!

• Premium Member
I have the Yamaha links. About 5/8" lower, this is just enough that the kickstand is too long if parked on rough ground. I just got the Soupy's stand with the ground pad. I went to install it and could not get the sleeve to slide in so I could bolt it up. I even tried to press it in with a hydraulic press. It will require a bit of polishing, either the hole or the sleeve. I was at work on lunch break and ran out of time, so will try tomorrow after getting the sleeve to fit.It is only off a few thousandths.

Unicycle52 provided a link to a replacement, adjustable sidestand from Soupys. My bike has been lowered about 1" for and aft and the stock stand does tend to make the bike sit a bit more upright on the sidestand. My only concern with this piece is will the shorter sidestand cause any problems when you try to deploy it. The stock stand is kind of a bitch to locate. Would a shorter stand exacerbate that problem? Any real world experience would be most appreciated!! Other than that, the Soupys stand looks to be a very nice piece of kit....

Best Wishes,
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
I got the Soupys kickstand installed along with the optional bolt on pad. The stand seems short even on the tallest setting. The pad will not match the ground angle, there is a very small contact patch. Being short you can use your toe to push it down, easier than stock stand. I have an email in to see if they sent me the wrong one or they have a fix. I have some photos of stand installed but do not see a way to post from my phone.

Based upon those pics, I foresee problems with deployment, it is very close to the footpeg. As my bike sits now, it seems to have enough lean to allow the bike to sit safely as long as I don't stupidly park it in a precarious position. So, I'm sticking with the stocker - no muss, no fuss...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Soupys is analyzing the photos I sent them. They may have sent me the wrong stand. If this is the proper stand for the bike i would not recommend it. I may go back to my original idea of buying an oem stand, cutting a section out and welding in some nuts and using all thread to connect the pieces.

You might want to consider grinding down the footstand stop so that the stand deploys a little bit further forward. This might provide enough of a lean angle to give you peace of mind....
-CD-

• Premium Member
I played with unit today. By adding some shims I was able to get it to work. Soupys is working with me about blown out threafs on one of the holes that would allow bike to be z bit more up right.[attachment id=598" thumbnail="1]

That's looking better. Now Soupy just needs to modify the bottom of the stand to mate up better (flatter) with the pad and it'll probably be good to go. Please keep us apprised of your progress....

-CD-

Archived