Advice about Waterproof Tops

HighwayGirl

Hi all, new member here, I thought it was time to stop lurking and join in. I got soaked the other day going into work. I wondered if any of you had the Richa top mentioned in this article:  https://bikerrated.com/gear/clothing/best-waterproof-motorcycle-tops/  - is that the best thing to keep the rain out?

Edited by HighwayGirl
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The description says that it's a PVC raincoat.  It's an old school rubber rain coat.  Those can work, but in warm weather, they will get swampy inside.  I've sweat enough in PVC that I only wear it now if I'm only wearing it for a few minutes at a time.  There should be plenty of options if you look at Walmart (or the equivalent if you're in the UK).

There are Gore-tex imitator jackets at outdoor stores like REI that you should be able to find on sale for about the same price.  For many, many years, I've thrown an old Columbia rain jacket over my riding gear.  They key was that it fit snugly over the other gear so it wouldn't flap around.  All that material movement is annoying, but it will also wear out the jacket.

There are many good textile jackets with waterproof liners in the $250 - $500 range from recognized brands.  They offer protection and use layers to offer warmth or rain protection.

Too many times I've looked at the sky and hoped it would stop raining soon.  I don't like to stop, especially on the side of the road, to put on rain gear, including liners.  So I've gradually switched over to Gore-tex for my main riding gear.  It's always expensive (occasionally you can find a fantastic closeout price if you're very small or very large), but it can also last for decades.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

I have the Richa typhoon one piece and it is NOT waterproof, but not a lot is.imo. I had to ride 300 miles in very wet weather in April and my crutch and belly area was soaking. I had the one piece over a goretex two piece. Even Rukka stuff can leak. 

Welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

If you ide long enough or far enough in the rain most jackets quit being waterproof. The waterproof liners become saturated and overwhelmed. A cheap Frog Tog or similar rain suit worn over your riding gear will keep you dry from the rain but you will definitely sweat while wearing them. I spray all my riding gear with Camp Dry a few days prior to a trip.  I put on several coats of it and it helps your gear stay waterproof.  Did my tail bag with it too and it really helped. 

When I used an over jacket all of the PVC versions worked but really do hotbox you. I wouldn't use one that didn't come with velcro cinches or similar at wrist and bicep minimum.

But yes there is gear that doesn't leak riding long and far so my PVC over wear sits idle in the closet :)