Powerbronze screen

• Premium Member
I live in the UK and decided to buy a Powerbronze screen as the company is British and has a decent reputation. Cost was £75 delivered by Parcel Force 48. Note: the website describes this as a flip screen. It does not flip in the sense that you can move it on the road which is what I would expect. It mounts to the standard carrier on the bike and has the same range of movement as the standard screen. Fitting is simple, just 4 screws.

Dimensions: overall max length 56cm (original is 43cm)
Narrowest width: 27cm (23cm)
Widest width 38cm (35cm)
The Powerbronze Screen is 13cm taller when you align the fitting holes as in the picture below.
Thickness is about the same, 4mm.

Pictures

tape measure is set to 56cm

2015-03-25%2013.01.55.jpg

screen on a white background to show the light tint

2015-03-25%2013.06.41.jpg

the two screens, original sitting on top with fitting holes aligned. You can just about make out the edges of the original

2015-03-25%2013.12.42.jpg

Screen on the bike

2015-03-25%2014.58.47.jpg

2015-03-25%2014.58.54.jpg

2015-03-25%2014.59.01.jpg

Pictures of the Ermax Screen in this thread for comparison. For UK riders, the Powerbronze is a little cheaper but less than a tenner.

Riding review

First of all, I tried it in the highest position. once I got up to 50mph the difference between this screen and the stock screen became very apparent. Very little wind noise. I got onto very quiet, very straight Roman roads we have here and wound the speed up, seeing an indicated 120mph. Still very quiet and if you want to you can hide behind it. Clarity is quite good with only slight distortion through the perspex. 

I then tried it in the lower position. This is about the same as the stock screen in the high position and I didn't see any advantage really. In fact there was a slight disadvantage as there seemed to be an odd vibration on the screen at certain speeds. This vibration was not present at any speed in the high position. 

One thing I noticed when I looked down to the speedo with the screen in the high position is that due to the lower noise, I was riding faster on any given road. I went around some corners thinking, "oh, that was a bit tighter than I remember." Largely due to riding at 15mph faster on the same road than earlier in the week! 

The screen has quite a curvature which you can see in the last picture. This is fine but it does appear close to you in the high position and if you lean forward it is easy to touch the top of the screen with your helmet. In practice, I only did this on one occasion when getting on the bike.

Overall, I am very happy with the screen. It makes the ride more comfortable and quieter at speed and it will stay in the upper position.

Incidentally, as mentioned by someone in another thread, I have lost one of the knobs from the screen adjuster mechanism. I thought the threads had a circlip to prevent them dropping out but this is obviously not good enough. I have replaced it with an allen bolt and it will probably stay like this as I don't need to move the screen. I did mention it to my dealer when I was enquiring about my luggage today and he will see what Yamaha say about a replacement. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Good review, was thinking of getting one of these for the same reasons. (Did you put the bit about 120MPH in just to annoy our American cousins :-)
Of course not. The only reason I wasn't going faster was that there was a T junction at the end of the straight, on this particular private road 
I was wondering whether to put in the ECU remap thread something about UK tuners not having much business from Tracer owners
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
for the chap that likes things being debadged, you won't like this screen. The badge is quite nice but is a solid lump of acrylic with their logo embedded in it. It is very securely glued to the bottom corner. You don't see it when riding as it is in front of the screen carrier's base.

Out of curiosity, how tall are you Wessie (in feet and inches, inches, meters and centimeters to keep the international community happy :) )?

I have the OEM Touring screen and it is ugly, noisy and turbulent for my gigantism.

• Premium Member
I'm 5'8" tall with a 32" inseam, so short of body but I can see over the top of this big screen

Rather than overall height it's the upper body measurement that is important as we all have different proportions - just sat on the bike and if I sit upright, my eye level is about 7" above the screen

1' foot = 12" inches = 30cm - do the math @grosgym :)

• Premium Member
One thing I forgot to add, the screen was supplied with a reel of tinted plastic trim to run around the edge. I prefer the clean perspex edge plus on a VFR I owned a while ago, the trim kept coming loose.

The trim is quite a rigid material so if you are going to fit it I recommend you warm it up with a hair dryer or some hot water to make it more flexible for fitting.

The curvature of the powerbronze flip screen is quite significant. I was hoping the extra 13cm would be enough to push the air above ear level, but if when it's on the low setting it's only the same as the stock screen on the high setting, that's equating to just an extra 3cm in height.
Does it really make a significant difference when it's on the high setting? As Powerbronze make them to order, if I buy it and it doesn't work, I can't send it back...
I'd then have to buy another and would probably go for a smaller screen, like the Ermax sport style one.
(Looking at the high Ermax screen, it's not as curved so should be higher but isn't as long as the Powerbronze so is about the same height, and on the other thread someone with it said it wasn't any quieter.)

• Premium Member
The curvature of the powerbronze flip screen is quite significant. I was hoping the extra 13cm would be enough to push the air above ear level, but if when it's on the low setting it's only the same as the stock screen on the high setting, that's equating to just an extra 3cm in height. Does it really make a significant difference when it's on the high setting? As Powerbronze make them to order, if I buy it and it doesn't work, I can't send it back...
I'd then have to buy another and would probably go for a smaller screen, like the Ermax sport style one.
(Looking at the high Ermax screen, it's not as curved so should be higher but isn't as long as the Powerbronze so is about the same height, and on the other thread someone with it said it wasn't any quieter.)

I don't get your point in the first paragraph. I have an extra 13cm of height over the stock screen when they are set in the same position - of course the gap gets smaller if you have the stock in high and the new one in low. Just look at the picture with the one screen overlayed on the other. 
The screen works for me. I have tried to provide information for you to decide whether to buy. I've no idea where you are but if you happen to be in the UK and anywhere near Cheltenham you are welcome to try my screen on your bike. It takes about a 2 minutes to swap them over. 

From a financial point of view, if the screen didn't work for you and there is no guarantee as we are all different, wear different helmets etc then I'm sure you would recover most of your outlay by selling it to someone else on the forum. You may lose £25 but isn't that worthwhile to experiment to get the ergonomics right? Just forego a few cups of coffee or a Friday night takeaway to balance the books. 

Sorry for not being clear.

Both screens on the bike are fixed at an angle, so although the powerbronze screen is 13cm longer, the difference in vertical height from the top of one to the top of other isn't 13cm.

Think of the screens as the hypotenuse of a 90 degree triangle. Increasing the length of the hypotenuse doesn't lead to a vertical change of nearly as much.

I was just trying to work out for sure whether it would or wouldn't push the wind over my head.

You're right, the only way is to try! Thanks for your help and the review. I shall go and buy one....

• Premium Member
So, an update on the Powerbronze screen after a longish ride yesterday. I find this screen very good still.

There is one annoyance, not so much for me but might be significant for others.

I have the screen in the upper position. As you get towards 50mph the screen starts to oscillate. At 55mph this generates a noise which begins to dissipate at 60mph. By 70mph the screen is pushed back by the airflow and stops oscillating. Not a big problem for me. My journeys are around town and on single track mountain roads at lower speeds or in open countryside above that range.

If YMV so that you spend a lot of time in the 50-70 range, perhaps on a commute over urban dual carriageways with speed cameras, then this might annoy you.

• Premium Member
well mines on its way so I will let you know how I get on- hopefully they have sent me the non oscillating version! Figured I would use it for touring and maybe keep the other std one for daily stuff anyway.
I've just attacked the screws with a screwdriver and 3 of the 4 managed a quarter turn without much effort so maybe that extra bit of tension might help - it is very easy to flex the top of the screen as it is quite a long beast.  
Just hope the officer accepts the excuse, "I was trying to avoid a headache as that would distract me and be unsafe."

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just spent a week using the Yamaha Touring screen and refitted the Powerbronze screen this morning before taking a 70 mile ride on my favourite roads, getting up to an indicated 120mph at one point. The Powerbronze is the keeper. it looks better and the performance is so much better than the either the Yamaha original or their barn door of a touring screen.

• Premium Member
I just spent a week using the Yamaha Touring screen and refitted the Powerbronze screen this morning before taking a 70 mile ride on my favourite roads, getting up to an indicated 120mph at one point. The Powerbronze is the keeper. it looks better and the performance is so much better than the either the Yamaha original or their barn door of a touring screen.
Showoff. Just wait until I get that flashtune. clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived