Electrical Question

• Premium Member

Hoping someone with more electrical expertise than I have can help me out. Electrical stuff always befuddles me, but I have done my share of electrical work by taking it slow and asking when I'm not sure.

I bought my 2019 Tracer 900 GT, and replaced the rear end with a Custom LED tail light. Blinkers are integrated into the tail light, and the installation went very easily. At the end of the install, I realized that my license plate light didn't have a source for power, so I don't have a light on my plate right now. (Red wire in the picture is the wire from the license plate tail light) I am also about to install a fuze block next week. (It has been ordered, and is on it's way to me as we speak.)

I think I have two options:

1. Splice a switched wire on the bike, so I can connect the license plate light to that wire and get the license plate light to come on when I turn the key on. I think one of the three wires coming out of the white connector (blue, yellow, black) is switched, and that is what I installed the Fuze Block on my old FJ 09. Anyone know which wire color is the switched one?
  2. I can also wait for the fuze block, and run the license plate wires into the fuze block on one of the switched sections. This will still require me to splice a switched wire for the fuze block anyway, so I think waiting for the fuze block, and installing that first makes the most sense. Advantage of installing the license plate light directly to the wire behind the white connector is that it saves a space on the fuze block, but I'm not sure if that creates any safety issues rather than just running it into the fuze block directly.

I did this on my old 2015 FJ 09, and If I remember correctly, I cut one of the three wires (yellow/blue/black) coming out of the white connector, and then re-connected the two wires I just cut along with the wire that goes into the fuze block for switched power.  Anyone know which of the three wires (blue/yellow/black) are switched?

Sorry this is so long, and any help is appreciated.........

Image 1 - red wire is for the license plate light mounted on top of my license plate holder - right now it has no power. Black wire is grounded to the screw just to the left of the wire.

1135900530_TailsectionElectrical.thumb.jpeg.262ca020a77a5d743a0fe7bb6884faac.jpeg

Image 2 - PIcture of wire plug with color wires (Blue/Yellow/Black) - Which one is Power?

1376233970_PlugwithWires-2.thumb.jpeg.e7543905d28ffe0fe5d07a6b14721e12.jpeg

• Supporting Member

@DavidS - To answer your question about the function of the three wires in image 2: -

BLUE - Switched power to the tail light/running light

YELLOW - Stop light

BLACK - Earth

Disclaimer is that this information is correct for the 2015 model.  Although I'd be surprised if any different to yours based on the same colour scheme being used.

CCT.PNG.b46dafb5aae67eaa0336afd440d666e3.PNG

Hope that helps.

P.S. I installed one of these but can't remember how I integrated the tail light on my 2015 model.  I'll check and get back to you.  Stay tuned.

• Supporting Member

Just checked mine and I'm using the OEM licence plate assembly which includes the light with OEM plug that interfaces into the wiring loom as standard.  If you look at the attached it is shown right next to the tail light circuit as mentioned before.

My connector was hidden down near where your brown wire connector is shown for your custom led blinker.  Near the seat latch area. (2015 model)

Capture.PNG.fff597409960c4d5b2b12eb61313cb7a.PNG

Or are you using a third party tail tidy with it's own licence plate light?

Also, if you end up using the current setup (red & black wires) you might like to make sure that the black wire connection is in fact earthed and not isolated/insulated by the plastic bits.  If it is, you could always use the dedicated connector indicated below for the licence plate light OR tap into the black wire of the tail/brake light connector discussed above.

Good luck!

1700355754_Taillight.PNG.5522a6e29c4e8c189f53b08f138ab1ea.PNG

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Just remember that all electrical items do not work after the smoke escapes and it is impossible to put smoke back in.😁

Good point @flyfifer Should have mentioned that all electrical circuits work on the principal of smoke and that it must be kept trapped within all of the components, wires, integrated circuits, discrete components etc at all times!💥

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just a shout-out and thank you to the folks who responded and helped me with my project. I completed the work and am very happy with the results.

I installed the yoshimura fender eliminator kit, and the Custom LED integrated tail light replacement. I also added a FuzeBlock for adding additional electrical devices down the road. (And I got rid of that hideous tail section Yamaha keeps shipping with these bikes)

The hardest part was splicing the wire for the switched circuit. Not really all that hard, but I was very nervous about cutting into the wires of a brand spanking new bike. No issues, as I had plenty of help from members on the forum to make sure I was successful.

The brake light is super bright, and has multiple patterns you can choose from to increase visibility as you are slowing/stopping. (I had one of these on my 2015 FJ 09 too) The tail tidy required me to connect wires for the light over the license plate somewhere for electricity. I opted to just run it into the fuze block for simplicity.

Of course now that all it set up, weather forecast is for 2-4 inches of snow, so I likely won't get a chance to ride much for the next few days.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions, you were all a huge help!

TAil Tidy-Tracer 900 GT.png

• Thumbsup 4