Virginian FJ-09

Hyena

On 3/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Hyena said:

Funny thing about the K-tech. I talked to them in regards to what spring I should have for the rear. They recommended a 93nm spring but when I talked to a suspension guy he said that was way too light for my riding purposes and recommended I go to something higher. Any ideas @betoneyย or other suspension gurus? I'm buying the Razor-R off of a forum member and it currently has a 105nm spring on it which, per K Tech sales rep would be too heavy.ย 

I bought a shock from KTech with their recommended spring rate. When my race sag was set correctly, I had 0 static sag, which indicates a too-light spring. I left it alone because I ran into several other problems with KTech, didn't want to deal with the headache and lack of help, and intend to lose some weight anyway. I would recommend using race tech's calculator. I'll bet it's a couple rates stiffer. Maybe split the difference between them?

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Maverick302 said:

I bought a shock from KTech with their recommended spring rate. When my race sag was set correctly, I had 0 static sag, which indicates a too-light spring. I left it alone because I ran into several other problems with KTech, didn't want to deal with the headache and lack of help,

That is very surprising to hear, I read several motorcycle forums, FJ/Tracer/FZ/MT/XSR, FZ/MT10 and FJR and have never heard anything but praise for their product and service.ย  Not defending them, just seems out of character.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

20 minutes ago, betoney said:

That is very surprising to hear, I read several motorcycle forums, FJ/Tracer/FZ/MT/XSR, FZ/MT10 and FJR and have never heard anything but praise for their product and service.ย  Not defending them, just seems out of character.

Well, to quantify that statement, I ordered fork bushings along with the rest of the suspension stuff I got (ktech brand through NorWest). Installed the Stoltec cartridge and new oem seals, went for a test ride, and found the forksย to be leaking through the seals. Iโ€™ve done dozens and use all the correct tools, never had one leak on me.ย Upon disassembly, I found out the lower fork bushing was 1mm too small on OD. Had to send a bunch of measurements and pictures, at which point they admitted they incorrectly listed the bushing. They sent me new ones, but wouldnโ€™t cover the measly $50 for oil and new seals because โ€œit should have been caught during assembly.โ€ Not to mention the time to redo the job, diagnose the issue, two weeks of downtime, etc... I didnโ€™t get too fired up about it, I just went on with the reassembly. The new bushings seemed to be the right measurements, but the gap wouldnโ€™t allow it to pinch closed enough to fit in the fork tube. Again had to go through the process of double checking, measuring, even went so far as to machine a โ€œring compressorโ€ style install tool to make sure I wasnโ€™t just being a knucklehead. Using a piston ring gapper, I opened the gap quite liberally and eventually got it to fit properly, but at that point I wasnโ€™t very confident in the quality of the bushings. I opted to use oem parts.ย 

I get that mistakes happen, and supplier quality varies. I was pretty surprised that they put up any resistance to covering my materials cost for the rebuild, considering I could have seriously damaged my forks, and considering I just spent a wad on the shock.ย Iโ€™m not trying to bash them, but figured I may as well explain my experience. So take that for what itโ€™s worth. And do yourself a favor, stick with oem or skf for consumables.ย 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 10:30 PM, Hyena said:

those ak-20's look great but 1100 for just forksย is a lot. I think I might do K-tech for the forks and perhaps splurge for the ohlins for adjustability. A forum member has a Razor R for sale but it's valved for his 240 lbs so I'm not sure if that will work for me, unfortunately.ย  Front fork install looks to be pretty involved and I'd need to get a few tools I don't have.... or just get a local shop to do it.ย 

I realize that this post was months ago but who was selling the Razor R? I weigh 240 also so I'd be interested if he still happened to have it for sale.

25 minutes ago, NotVeryCreative16 said:

I realize that this post was months ago but who was selling the Razor R? I weigh 240 also so I'd be interested if he still happened to have it for sale.

I ended up picking it up and it works great. Dude even got the spring swapped out for me, too.

• Thumbsup 1