New owner in Bay Area

trench

Hi all,

Bought an FJ09 today!  Can't wait to see it built.

I've been looking at the FJ, GS, MultiStrada, and XCx for months and just could not make a decision.  I finally took the FJ out for an extended demo ride today in perfect weather.  When I pulled on the Interstate for a few miles I made my decision.  I could not believe how stable this was on the highway.  We all know this loves the twisties so I was surprised. I became instantly convinced this was the all-round best road bike for me.  The dubious windscreen, light weight, and engine just love high speeds.   It just works and is an incredible value. 

My FJ's VIN is outside the recall intent VIN range and it is coming alive this weekend right out of the crate.  The initial setup will include hard bags, heated grips, and engine guards.  Future add-ons are top rack and case, radiator cover, handguard auxiliary lighting, custom seat, suspension upgrade, rubber foot pegs, and potentially another windscreen.

I may never get the additional add ons as this bike flys out of the box.  Anyway,  I'll post a pic or two from my favorite riding spot in a few days.  See you all in the forum.

Trench

• Premium Member
Welcome @trench - as you say at the end, you may have a bit of a wait for some accessories from Yamaha. I placed an order in mid Feb and will have to wait until July for heated grips. My ABS luggage is promised "next month".

It looks like you have been lurking and looking at other accessory options and there are more coming along all of the time as the suppliers wake up to the opportunity the high ales of this bike gives them. So, you don't really need to wait for Yamaha to catch up as you can probably find an alternative accessory out there somewhere.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Supply is a bit better in California.  Look's like a two-day wait for the items not in stock at my dealer.  Yes, the 3rd party vendors have a huge opportunity. 

BTW, I need to replace the stock US signals with clear ones.  Can I get Yamaha originals from anywhere else in the world?  Any sources?

Welcome trench!
Congrats on your new super bike!
Yamaha are on with a clear winner. Growing market segment, affordable, powerful, multi task bike.
Don't forget to select your colour in the poll that is running!
Now, if you are after clear lenses in stock trim, I can confirm Australia has them fitted as standard.
I don't have the part number with me. Somebody will know this....
Your other option if you are wanting to upgrade is to fit LED's. Yamaha have these as an optional upgrade.
Good luck and enjoy your bike, super!
Cheers,
Steve

trench

Congrats on the new bike. I'm also a Bay Area guy and I'm in the process of doing a lot of homework on the FJ-09. There looks like more availability in the Los Angeles area.  What dealership did you work with and could I get a ballpark OTD price minus the accessories? Am I reading your post right? You got to demo an FJ-09?

Thanks

• Premium Member
trench 
Congrats on the new bike. I'm also a Bay Area guy and I'm in the process of doing a lot of homework on the FJ-09. There looks like more availability in the Los Angeles area.  What dealership did you work with and could I get a ballpark OTD price minus the accessories? Am I reading your post right? You got to demo an FJ-09?

Thanks
I am in So. Cal and a deal can be had for $500 below MSRP and free shipping and assembly. I bought from Simi Cycles in Simi Valley. Three sales and counting. Too bad I get no commission. eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

You can demo ride and get a great deal at GP Sports in San Jose.  Carlos or Russ are the guys to talk to about the FJ-09.  They have at least 2 in stock in the showroom (both colors) and one demo as of yesterday. 

I paid less than MSRP on the bike and accessories so I'm sure you'll get a good deal as well.

Archived