How to change clutch and brake levers

bubba

I purchased some aftermarket adjustable levers for my last bike and never installed them as I wasn't sure how.  I find the FJ-09's clutch lever requires a King Kong sized hand to operate and would like to replace it with the aftermarket ones.  I would greatly appreciate if a fellow forum member could post step by step instructions, with lots of pictures, as to how to do this.  Thanks in advance and if I ever meet you in person then a few pints are on me :)

• Premium Member
Found this on Youtube for the FZ-09 which should be the same as the FJ-09.  Looks simple, no rocket science degree required.
On every bike I've ever owned you basically remove the pivot bolt, remove the lever, and on the clutch side you have to work the cable end out of its slot. 
There may be a sleeve bearing around the bolt that has to be moved to the new lever, and you should grease that up.  Other than that, assembly is the reverse of disassembly.  It should take no more than 10 minutes to do this, if that long.  There aren't many repair or upgrade tasks on a motorcycle that are easier.

By the way, I just bought the very levers shown in that video.  Now I'm just waiting for the bike so I can actually mount them....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I installed these today http://www.ebay.com/itm/271555487076?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Very impressive quality. First time for me using shorty levers and I like them a lot. The range of adjustment is very good too.

Almost identical install process to the youtube video posted above except remove the 2 hex screws for the hand guard mounts on either side of the handlebar and loosen the mirror stalks. Need a flat blade screwdriver, a deep 10 mm socket and some grease. No need to remove the plastic turn signal housing. 5 minutes to do each lever.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived