Clutch lever

fr8dog

• Premium Member

I had a little too much play at the lever so I adjusted that by turning the knob by the lever.

On the ride home from work it seems that the lever won't return back all the way. I had to nudge it a bit to keep it from still being engaged.

Will adjustment on the cable by the motor take care of this?

About 35k on the bike. 9k on new clutch cable. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

You can certainly adjust it at the motor end, there’s a lock nut and adjuster there. It sounds a bit like your cable, or the lever, may be sticking though. Try greasing or oiling the lever pivot and checking all is clean in that area.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, BBB said:

You can certainly adjust it at the motor end, there’s a lock nut and adjuster there. It sounds a bit like your cable, or the lever, may be sticking though. Try greasing or oiling the lever pivot and checking all is clean in that area.

Thanks @BBB!

Took apart and cleaned. Works like new again. Doesn't take much to gum it up.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

Thanks @BBB!

Took apart and cleaned. Works like new again. Doesn't take much to gum it up.

Was it the pivot mount or the cable that was sticking?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, betoney said:

Was it the pivot mount or the cable that was sticking?

The pivot mount was dirty. Looked like gummed up old grease.

I think the difference in pull was gradual so I didn't notice until it was really bad.

Lever snaps right back into place after pulling.

I didn't apply any grease to it. Should I?

Also have to be careful to not over tighten the nuts for the lever.. That will affect it also. I guess that's why there are two nuts. No pun intended. One to secure the lever just to enough for it to operate smoothly and one to secure that nut. If that makes sense.

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

The pivot mount was dirty. Looked like gummed up old grease.

I think the difference in pull was gradual so I didn't notice until it was really bad.

Lever snaps right back into place after pulling.

I didn't apply any grease to it. Should I?

Also have to be careful to not over tighten the nuts for the lever.. That will affect it also. I guess that's why there are two nuts. No pun intended. One to secure the lever just to enough for it to operate smoothly and one to secure that nut. If that makes sense.

I would have to pull mine apart to check for certain, but I believe the lever pivot has a bearing and bushing.  The bolt is like the axle, it doesn't move so you shouldn't 'need' grease although I put a light coating of grease on the top and bottom surface of the lever mount that slides into the perch. It might be overkill?🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***