MPG Tracer 900gt

Ive had the fuel light come on at 173, most of the time a bit more.  Loafing along on at say 65 it gets good mileage.  Loaded on the interstate it gets about the same or a little than my F800GT BMW did.  Overall a big improvement as the tank is 4.8 gallons versus 4.0 gallons (US) so the added range is really nice. The BMW seemed to respond a little bit better to low speeds dramatically improving mileage - probably because it had a barn door (MadStad) windscreen.  Love the ability to track average and instantaneous consumption and the fuel used.  Fuel used is not accurate but once I've figured it out gives me a good idea of range left.  In the last 2 years have done 5 long trips out west and have learned to know where gas is available and how far to the next one beyond that.  Gas station scarcity it not always where expected.

Also have had to fill up with 87 octane a few times as that is all that is available.  How does the Tracer GT respond to 87 octane fuel? 

@PhotoAI

I've noted no oddness (at least no more than usual) in throttle response or fueling the two times I've filled up from empty with 87 octane.

I'm at 42.1 mpg over the last 2000 miles and on 75 mph speed limit interstates and minimal city / stop and go riding.

Coincidentally, my last bike was a F800ST and although I averaged 45mpg, I now get waaay more smiles per gallon. 🤠

• Thumbsup 1

You guys who are cheaping out with 87 octane should be running a fuel additive like Ringfree plus every couple tanks. Actually, we all should be running it periodically. 

It’s not that the recommended 91 octane makes more/less power, it’s because 87 octane fuel leaves behind more carbon deposits and is more likely to contain ethanol. It burns more “dirty” and over time it accumulates in your valve stems and seats, piston crowns and Intake and exhaust tract. 
then over time you’ll lose power/fuel mileage/run-ability as the compression drops. 

but if you’re not going to keep the bike long-term, then whatever I guess. 
YMMV,

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

skipperT, the only time I run 87 is when I'm low and nothing else is available.  Doesn't happen often but in 5 long trips have had to use 87 about 6 or 7 times.  My experience in states like Nebraska, Montana, the Dakotas and Wyoming there are some chains that only have 87 available.  Usually when planning my route for the day I'll check to see where gas is and what the stations are but occasionally still get low and only is 87 available.  I never look at the price - only putting in 3 or 4 gallons so difference is not so much.

Edited by PhotoAl

• Supporting Member
On 9/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, skipperT said:

You guys who are cheaping out with 87 octane should be running a fuel additive like Ringfree plus every couple tanks. Actually, we all should be running it periodically.

I just bought a bottle and am going to give it a try.  I have never used it before, do you recommend any set interval?  Bike is almost at 50k on the odometer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

skipperT, the only time I run 87 is when I'm low and nothing else is available.  Doesn't happen often but in 5 long trips have had to use 87 about 6 or 7 times.  My experience in states like Nebraska, Montana, the Dakotas and Wyoming there are some chains that only have 87 available.  Usually when planning my route for the day I'll check to see where gas is and what the stations are but occasionally still get low and only is 87 available.  I never look at the price - only putting in 3 or 4 gallons so difference is not so much.

I can totally relate. Been in that situation myself. 
I was just putting info out there to say: you should consider running this product, it’s great for staying on top of the deposits that combustion leaves behind. Everyone’s situation will be different. 
-Skip

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I just bought a bottle and am going to give it a try.  I have never used it before, do you recommend any set interval?  Bike is almost at 50k on the odometer.

It’s not printed anywhere anymore that I’m aware of - but the old bottles used to list a “shock” dosage as well as a “continuous” dosage. 

shock=1 oz per gallon, and plan on changing the engine oil and filter after you’ve run through the tank. The carbon deposits wind up in the oil. 

constant or continuous treat= I believe it’s 1 oz for 10 gallons, which IMHO honestly doesn’t seem like much, but I have no proof to back my opinion up....

I give it a quick “glug” on fill up, and call it good. It’s probably too much though... I measured 1 oz awhile back using the dosage cup from liquid Tylenol/Advil/cold medicine from my daughter’s old bottle (before she could swallow pills, so I guess that was longer ago than I thought!) and i think it was either a 1/2 or full dispense cup per tank? Definitely verify that guess. 
8)

you can use it every tank on the constant treat if you like... one bottle will last a long time. No harm done.  Especially good to do if you are buying off-brand fuel too, but that’s a whole other subject...

I shock treat before an oil change, and especially before a valve clearance check, if I remember in time.  

-Skip

• Thanks 1