maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

An trying to figure out best way to connect and mount a V1 to my Niken GT. Valentine One suggests the following but I've never seen this mount before. Anyone have successful mounting configurations that work well for you? Note I'm planning on using the  concealed display but am torn between trying to keep the bike relatively moisture resistant and having appropriate rider aids for long distance rides 

Ensure your motorcycle is in prime condition for touring with the help of...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I have a Uniden DFR9 I bought from Costco a year ago.  I've been using the RAM magnetic mount.  I put the detector where it had a nice clear view of the road ahead.  Uniden doesn't offer a "concealed display", so I figure that if I get pulled over, not only will I deserve it, but I'll get the performance award.

The problem you'll get is trying to keep it out of rain.  The Valentine One is like my Uniden in that they are designed for use in a car.

I found the double-sided tape for the metal piece that sticks to the underside of the detector, needed some help.  The paint on the metal plate needed some sandpaper applied to it to scuff it up and help the tape stick.  Before I did that, it was actually coming loose on a hot summer day with the vibration.  Since then, it hasn't budged.

If I understand it correctly, the Valentine One has a nice feature in that you can get a verbal warning in your headset.  My assumption is that it is using the smartphone app to do this.  For those who don't have that capability, Marc Parnes will add LED lights to your detector that will get your attention if you're picking up an LEO.  I've been using it for most of the riding season and it works great.

Ultra-Bright Visual Alert flashes in concert with your Radar...

Chris

Edited by daboo

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, daboo said:

I have a Uniden DFR9 I bought from Costco a year ago.  I've been using the RAM magnetic mount.  I put the detector where it had a nice clear view of the road ahead.  Uniden doesn't offer a "concealed display", so I figure that if I get pulled over, not only will I deserve it, but I'll get the performance award.

The problem you'll get is trying to keep it out of rain.  The Valentine One is like my Uniden in that they are designed for use in a car.

I found the double-sided tape for the metal piece that sticks to the underside of the detector, needed some help.  The paint on the metal plate needed some sandpaper applied to it to scuff it up and help the tape stick.  Before I did that, it was actually coming loose on a hot summer day with the vibration.  Since then, it hasn't budged.

If I understand it correctly, the Valentine One has a nice feature in that you can get a verbal warning in your headset.  My assumption is that it is using the smartphone app to do this.  For those who don't have that capability, Marc Parnes will add LED lights to your detector that will get your attention if you're picking up an LEO.  I've been using it for most of the riding season and it works great.

Ultra-Bright Visual Alert flashes in concert with your Radar...

Chris

Super helpful. Did you hardwire directly to the battery or did you tap into another wire for power?

I've got the same concern of keeping it out of the rain and moisture. Not sure I've got a great answer yet. Any pics of your dash setup would help since I'm trying to figure out optimal wire routing please. 

2019 Niken GT

I'm not going to be the person to help you here.  I joined the forum because the Yamaha FJ-09 was on my short list, and the Tracer GT still is on that short list if I replace my current bike.  Plus, there's a lot to share and enjoy from one motorcycle forum to another.  There, I said it...I'm a forum junkie.  :D

I hardwired mine directly to the battery.  I'd suggest getting something like a "fuse box" where you connect it to the battery and have everything else connect to it, whether switched power or not.

As for keeping it out of rain, I've invested in a stock of zip-lock bags.  :D  If you think about it, during the wet weather, you probably dial back the throttle a bunch anyway.  (If not, you'll probably not be riding for long anyway.)  In town, I ride with the traffic and really the radar detector is an expensive toy at those times.  It's when I'm out riding country roads that I'm more likely to exceed the speed limit...and I'll be doing less of that in the next several months anyway.

Chris

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Super helpful. Did you hardwire directly to the battery or did you tap into another wire for power?

Personally, I don’t wire anything directly to the battery, you could if you have an in-line switch but anything directly from he battery is technically always drawing power.

Did you locate the 12v aux power leads? On the Fj and Tracer they are behind the screen.  Those are really convenient to use because they turn on with the key. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, betoney said:

Personally, I don’t wire anything directly to the battery, you could if you have an in-line switch but anything directly from he battery is technically always drawing power.

Did you locate the 12v aux power leads? On the Fj and Tracer they are behind the screen.  Those are really convenient to use because they turn on with the key. 

Glad you reminded me of these - I am going to try and tap one of the these 12v auxiliary power leads  for my arboreal systems Aurora power distribution module since my attempts at tapoing into tail light wiring didn't seem to give a live signal (can't tell why). There are three cables for my tail light , yellow, brown and black and I tapped into yellow but nothing on my Aurora. 

72BC8762-2B34-4593-88D8-9F39BBCC9A12.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, maximNikenGT said:

Glad you reminded me of these - I am going to try and tap one of the these 12v auxiliary power leads.

One thing you have to remember is not many here are familiar with the Niken, most have never even seen one and as far as I know, you are the only one posting on here that actually owns one. 

Recommendations for specific wiring or connector locations will be guesses or assumptions on our part as the basic engine is mostly the same but the rest of the machine is different from the FJ or Tracer.  I know where auxiliary power leads are on the FJ and Tracer but don't know for certain they are in the same location on the Niken.

Most of us on here are more than willing to help but that doesn't mean that our responses will be 100% accurate for your particular case.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

One thing you have to remember is not many here are familiar with the Niken, most have never even seen one and as far as I know, you are the only one posting on here that actually owns one. 

Recommendations for specific wiring or connector locations will be guesses or assumptions on our part as the basic engine is mostly the same but the rest of the machine is different from the FJ or Tracer.  I know where auxiliary power leads are on the FJ and Tracer but don't know for certain they are in the same location on the Niken.

Most of us on here are more than willing to help but that doesn't mean that our responses will be 100% accurate for your particular case.

Understood. I'm hoping Yamaha shared electrical wiring configurations across their models since I'm not able to find any other Niken owners to compare notes. This is my first Yamaha so I'm hoping the collective intelligence of the forum will help me avoid major mistakes since this is all new territory. Part of the fun of discovery. 😃

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

I'm hoping the collective intelligence of the forum will help me avoid major mistakes since this is all new territory. Part of the fun of discovery. 😃

At least we can TRY to offer assistance. 😎

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Trying to tap into live wire. Tail light wiring didn't appear to work (tried yellow). Will attempt tapping into the 12v rear auxiliary adapter since there is only a brown and black (assuming ground) cables and the adapter is always on. 

Photos below were my attempts at finding the tail light wiring locations. Photo with the nitrile blue glove is of the wiring going into the tail light. Other photo is of the 12v auxiliary rear adapter that I'm going to attempt to tap into. 

09A74364-804C-4355-8DD3-8A99DC07DE63.jpeg

C9D8CB69-A204-4010-A739-699DA9CFDEF1.jpeg

9E3A921E-ADCE-4D96-BCF4-4EBD740F0EC5.jpeg

943199FE-1C73-46FF-ADC5-DF781467ED1E.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, daboo said:

I'm not going to be the person to help you here.  I joined the forum because the Yamaha FJ-09 was on my short list, and the Tracer GT still is on that short list if I replace my current bike.  Plus, there's a lot to share and enjoy from one motorcycle forum to another.  There, I said it...I'm a forum junkie.  :D

I hardwired mine directly to the battery.  I'd suggest getting something like a "fuse box" where you connect it to the battery and have everything else connect to it, whether switched power or not.

As for keeping it out of rain, I've invested in a stock of zip-lock bags.  :D  If you think about it, during the wet weather, you probably dial back the throttle a bunch anyway.  (If not, you'll probably not be riding for long anyway.)  In town, I ride with the traffic and really the radar detector is an expensive toy at those times.  It's when I'm out riding country roads that I'm more likely to exceed the speed limit...and I'll be doing less of that in the next several months anyway.

Chris

Greatly appreciate the help and support of fellow gear heads while I'm learning more about this wonderful machine. This is my first Yamaha (although I suspect watching all the videos on YouTube from YammieNoob has influenced my subconscious somehow - BUSA!). 

2019 Niken GT