Center Stand holds bike at angle

9 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Whilst on side stand,  have a good look at centre stand pivots, make sure all is fixed good. Could it be bent a little,  ?

This is a good point and I mean to check it better. My center stand operates fine, smoothly, but I need to crawl under there and look around. Since these stands must be made in jigs, you would think they would be uniform to within reasonable tolerances. 

When we ride at the equator our wheels don't know which way to spin. Quite dangerous when they each lean different directions...

By the way, I have a fix in process where I used Gflex epoxy (which I love) and cut down a side stand puck and roughed it up. In trials it made the bike level upright. I'll let you all know if it works. When I get home from work I'll also check to see if anything looks bent or wrong in the structure. My bike was so new when I bought it the Odometer read "0" and it didn't even have a battery in it. They pulled it out of their warehouse! So doubt the center stand was damaged. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ok, my fix worked. Like I said, I used Gflex epoxy, which is a West System product that stays slightly flexible when cured and is super useful for all sorts of bonding because it will bond most plastic if heat treated and is tough as nails without being brittle. NO, I don't work for them or know anyone that does. I'm just a sailor who uses a lot of epoxy. 

I cut and shaped a wedge from a side stand puck, which happened to be the exact height needed to level my bike. I checked, and there is no sign whatsoever of damage or bending or any issues with the center stand that would explain the 1/4" or so issue. 

With the bike on the center stand now, the bike sits vertical with that material in place. 

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

Edited by Salish900
Had to fix side vs. center stand
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 10/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, Stew said:

I'm wondering if I need to take the curvature of the earth into consideration as well now. I may never be able to ride again :)

I can 100% confirm that the ground is not level. - actually it was Pythagoras who first proposed that the earth was round sometime around 500 B.C.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, DavidS said:

I can 100% confirm that the ground is not level. - actually it was Pythagoras who first proposed that the earth was round sometime around 500 B.C.

That's a good one! Oh, I think the Polynesians knew the Earth was round long before Pythagoras, but he might have had better math to prove it. Those Polynesians were by far the greatest navigators this planet has ever known, and could read the water and clouds and stars and smells and birds and you name it, to go thousands of miles across the sea. It's one of the great losses of humanity that we let that knowledge disappear. Actually, we more or less killed it off through guns, disease, laws and the appeal of Western methods.

Anyway, back to motorcycles, my center stand fix has been working great and holding up fine. It's a winner. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 10/16/2020 at 7:34 PM, Salish900 said:

That's a good one! Oh, I think the Polynesians knew the Earth was round long before Pythagoras, but he might have had better math to prove it. Those Polynesians were by far the greatest navigators this planet has ever known, and could read the water and clouds and stars and smells and birds and you name it, to go thousands of miles across the sea. It's one of the great losses of humanity that we let that knowledge disappear. Actually, we more or less killed it off through guns, disease, laws and the appeal of Western methods.

Anyway, back to motorcycles, my center stand fix has been working great and holding up fine. It's a winner. 

and that is all that matters...... Congrats!