Raising bars or higher handlebars

accokeek88

• Premium Member
have you looked at the Yamaha accessory catalogue? They have risers and I'm sure they could be added without modifying the cables as Yamaha tend to make the bikes ready for accessories to be added quite easily. That will give you an idea of the amount that be achieved without any grief.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
That's great ..  The Rox risers were what my friend recommended!Can't wait to hear back on that!
I couldn't find risers on the Yamaha Accessories Online..

they were there a while ago but things disappear from time to time - they took the grip heaters off for a while as they must have had 1000s of complaints as they have been unavailable since February 
Anyway, Crescent have them in the UK

"These exclusively designed bar risers replace the original ones on your MT-09 Tracer, offering wide handle bar position adjustability. A practical yet stylish accessory for your Yamaha Tracer. These handlebar risers have high quality bronze-colour billet aluminium anodised bodies and an adjustable range: height = 0 ~ 30mm, front-rear axis = -24mm ~ +24mm."

Remember the Tracer is the FJ09's European designation
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I was installing my heated grips so took a pretty good look at raising the bars with 2" rox pivot risers. I think it could be done but it would mean a significant amount of re-routing and letting stuff out of the retainers and ties. It looks like the clutch cable would need to be moved to behind the upper triple clamp. The clutch cable is probably the shortest/tightest piece to deal with. The front brake line would need to be moved in the retainers but would likely work (just!). Wiring would need to be loosened up from the ties and probably re-routed to in front of the risers. It looks tight but doable if you are ready to work for it.

Always remember - Your mileage may vary! Others may take a different view from what I have presented.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

OK Thanks. Sounds like you aren't going to do this right away.. Let me know if you ever do and thanks for looking!

You are right, I will ride it a bit and see how it feels before taking on any changes to the bars. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• 4 months later...
Yes I installed the 2" rox risers.  

The clutch cable was pulled real tight but it worked.

I ordered a 3" longer clutch cable from Motion Pro (approx $50). When you pull the cable thru I taped the new cable to the old cable. You have to loosen the radiator bolt to get the cable thru, it's really tight. 

The front brake line is pulled real tight too. There's a bracket and a bolt on the lower forks. Loosen the clamp and pry the rubber protector  off (its glued on) and pull some slack thru.

The wiring is pulled pretty tight too. I cut the zip tie to create some slack.

Overall it all worked out well, I like my bars up and back a little more than stock.

• 1 year later...
After about a dozen visits to the Chiropractor (going twice a week)  for probably similar neck/shoulder issues, I ended up going to "physical therapy".  Inside of several weeks (twice a week) I am on the mend and can now ride comfortably.  My on and off pain started in April.  In the beginning of June I rode 200 miles non-stop to Americade, and 200 miles home the next day and I was in agony with neck pain after the first 20 minutes of riding.

Tried plan B.     Went for an evaluation and Physical Therapy (PT)

Holding the head forward with a helmet on can really aggravate neck issues.

I have learned to keep the head back over my shoulders and use a "chin tuck".  It has made all the difference in the world for riding comfort.  

I was in agony off and on for several months, and several weeks into PT I am riding in three and four hour stretches with no problems.  

No bike mods.   Rider posture and exercise hopefully will do the trick for you.  I think it takes BOTH.

I have had positive results in the past with a Chiropractor for other issues, and I'm not discounting their value, but for my neck issues I had to seek other alternatives.

Best of luck for a speedy resolution.

Bill

Archived