Nitron NTR1 Shock Maintenance

piotrek

• Supporting Member

This might be useful to anyone with the basic NTR1 shock (without the remote), or any shock with a similar design. I noticed over the course of the season that the preload adjuster ring and the carrier would sometimes turn together (in either direction). Made preload adjustments frustrating since I rely on counting exposed carrier threads for preload "set-points" (baseline, touring and 2-up). Took the thing apart and found a couple of issues... the preload ring carrier unscrews itself from the base as the preload is increased, and the Torrington bearing was nearly dry. A couple of photos for reference.

shock_carrier_on.thumb.PNG.162d751e841416319c0e95d805a535e4.PNG

shock_carrier_off.thumb.PNG.643e969fa8cb56013a95e64408fa3aa4.PNG

I applied threadlocker on the carrier base thread and greased the bearing lightly, and all works well now. I will make this an annual maintenance/check item.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Thanks for the information @piotrek.  

And it’s good to see you posting again...  you seemed to have gone dark for awhile.  I hope you have a great new year.    

Thanks @texscottyd... and a great 2021 to you and the rest of the forum gang.

• Like 1

I found a similar thing on my Nitron shock. I had it out for a service and was unable to loosen the seal head cap due to some muppet over tightening the crap out of the cap. Distorted the cap so I’ll need to make a proper 8 pin tool to remove it, rather than the usual two pin style.

• Supporting Member
On 12/31/2020 at 10:20 PM, Buggy Nate said:

I had it out for a service and was unable to loosen the seal head cap due to some muppet over tightening the crap out of the cap.

Good to know @Buggy Nate. Good luck with the tool and tell us how it goes. I haven't attempted to undo the cap. I would love to dig into the shock to do basic service, like replace the oil, clean etc., but I don't know what oil is in there. I would also have to get a shop to charge it. I will try and get Nitron to shed light on some of this as only they know how they valved and setup the thing.

I asked a reputable local suspension shop if they would service the shock, and of course the response was a... 'sure'. I'd like to do basic service on the shock during the next off-season sometime. It will likely go to a Nitron shop in the U.S. for major service when due.

Edited by piotrek

Yeah I asked nitron for some information on that. Even told them I was a mechanic with all the tools and they kept their secrets. Wouldn’t divulge any information.

Wished I’d had of gone with the more conventional remote reservoir. I found a video online showing a nitron being assembled. Seems to be a de carbon piston style with the chamber pressurised to around 250-300psi. So care should be taken!

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Some info for Canadian Nitron suspension owners. It seems that we finally have an authorized service centre within our borders. Suspension Werks out of Vancouver is listed on the Fast Bike Industries website (here) as a qualified shop. I haven't dealt with them yet, but here is their reply to my email re: NTR-R1 shock. Shipping cost noted on there is to GTA Ontario.

"We do offer service on these shocks, pricing is about $235 +tax and shipping would likely be around $30 depending on your full address."

Edited by piotrek

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member

I had my NTR-R1 shock serviced in February, and the tech suggested that I up-size the spring a bit to ease up on preload. Nitron spring was stupid money. Race Tech was a bit less expensive... then I remembered Eibach. Sure enough... I found the right size at an auto performance retailer at about half the price of a Race Tech branded spring.

Worth checking here if you need a spring for your shock... https://eibach.com/category/race

eibach.thumb.jpg.dd80fc6e17a51995f43fea37761fe9c7.jpg

• Thumbsup 3