Disappointed

Paid for fj. It snowed and couldn't pick it up before my holidays started. Went to pick it up today, left to go on a couple hour ride and a couple miles in the abs and engine light came on. Took it back to the dealership and they promptly took back to the shop. Said it was fixed and before they could ride it back to the front the lights came back on. Anyone else have this issue? My bike sits in the shop and i sit here worried my bike is the one lemon.

Don't be. Sorry, but your dealer didn't do the predelivery correctly. This same issue popped up on other members bikes. The front ABS sensor is not setup correctly or has been damaged. I've written about this before so that's it, I'm going to start a new thread when I get on my computer at home!
Good luck. Get a new dealer.Cheers,Steve

I did and I know at least one other person on here did too. Mine came up with an engine code of 069 if I remember right, which pointed to an ABS issue. The engine codes show up on the right screen when you turn the key off and go away once you start the bike. Somewhere on this forum I was able to find what the code meant. If you get a code, do a search first. If you can't find it, other members are fortunate enough to have a service manual and they may be willing to look it up for you. The engine light does come on if there's a problem with the ABS. It doesn't always mean there's a problem with the engine. It ended up on mine the dealer didn't mount the ABS speed sensor correctly so it couldn't read the speed sensor rotor. It was crooked on mine. I was able to take the sensor off and remount it correctly. Once I did that, I took it around the block and the lights went away. If I had it to do over again, I'd bring a metric Allen wrench set and double check that they tightened things down correctly. I lost a bar end weight and about a dozen other screws were loose when I got home. I know someone else lost a bar end weight. Mine was replaced by the dealer but it's a little scary thinking everything isn't put together right at the dealer.

I hope they are able to find the problem and it turns out to be something simple. My issue had nothing to do with the bike being bad. It was a poorly done dealer prep that was to blame. I suspect it is something similar with your bike. If that is the case, you definitely wouldn't have a lemon. A questionable dealer service department? Maybe. Or possibly just an honest mistake by a good mechanic. That happens too.

@goatboss my ABS light came on because the spring in the foot pedal that triggers the brake light was installed incorrectly. It would stick and hold the brake light on, causing the ABS light to come on. That light can mean anything brake related is wrong, not necessarily just the ABS system.

My dealer found other bikes with this spring installed wrong, so maybe this is your issue too?

My dealer fixed it, so I didn't see what they did. I'm just going off the description they gave me.

Archived