GIVI XS308 Tank Bag - doesn't fit!!!

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share this to hopefully avoid anyone else unnecessary grief.  I bought the Givi XS308 Tank Bag, installed the tank ring, only to discover that the bag won't seat onto the tank ring to secure the tank bag to the tank.

The issue is that locking mechanism/assembly under the tank bag clashes with the faring assembly around the front of the tank.  Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done here without altering the bodywork of the bike.

Such a shame as I was looking forward to using this bag.  Now I just have to see how I go about getting some sort of a refund.

From what I have seen, this same issue will also apply to the 15l and 25l equivalent of these Givi bags as well.

Would be interested in other Tank Bags that people are using though!

• Premium Member
Hi Guys, 

The issue is that locking mechanism/assembly under the tank bag clashes with the faring assembly around the front of the tank.  Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done here without altering the bodywork of the bike.

Why can't you modify the ring?  I saw the pics and it looks like a little judicious shaving of the front of the ring and perhaps adapter plate would do the trick.  I have to think that 10 minutes with the Dremel would clean that right up, unless perhaps the plastic piece on the bike projects enough to inhibit locking. 
I've got an XS308 sitting in my (large) pile of Stuff To Install and will be solving this for myself as soon as the dealer gives me the bike, but I'm certainly thinking along those lines.

Of course, the alternative approach of using a small spacer that was suggested clearly works, and is simpler, it just looks a little funny.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Why can't you modify the ring? I saw the pics and it looks like a little judicious shaving of the front of the ring and perhaps adapter plate would do the trick. I have to think that 10 minutes with the Dremel would clean that right up, unless perhaps the plastic piece on the bike projects enough to inhibit locking.

I've got an XS308 sitting in my (large) pile of Stuff To Install and will be solving this for myself as soon as the dealer gives me the bike, but I'm certainly thinking along those lines.

Of course, the alternative approach of using a small spacer that was suggested clearly works, and is simpler, it just looks a little funny.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/post/10442/edit#ixzz3X5WrPQH8

I guess you could with the right tools.  I went with the spacer option by propping up the front lip of the ring with some washers.  In the ned it's probably around 3-4 mm of washers.  It doesn't actually look that bad with the washers, you wouldn't really know they are there unless you were looking closely.

• 3 weeks later...
I installed my Givi locking tank bag yesterday. Yes, the plastic molding causes an issue with the bag seating properly. I removed the plastic and 3 minutes with the bench grinder gave me a very clean and almost factory solution. The bag fits great now.

Surely if you pay your hard earned money for a product that is designed for you bike you don't want to then modify it?
It doesn't encourage manafactuers (and Givi are huge) to get it right in the first place.
Was the BF23 ring used as specified by Givi?

Playing about with luggage options, and already having a 3D603 which suits my needs, the UK Givi website shows the BF23 adapter coming with 3 spacers to lift it above the filler cap and some sticky protectors for the tank plastic trim.

Is the problem with the adapter design or people trying to use a non specific one ? 

Hi @pugwash

Seems to me that the tank ring provided is the ring for the FZ-09/MT-09 and not specifically for the Tracer.  This is likely what happened to me as so many of the parts are interchangeable between the two models, the store likely assumed the same in this case.

This bike has only been in Australia for a few months so parts and availability is still pretty scarce.  I'm not even sure if Givi have responded with a dedicated tank ring to suit the FJ-09 as yet...

The MT-09 has its own tank ring (BF05 I think). I wonder if this has been supplied in error to early FJ customers.
The Yamaha and SW Motech mounts aren't exactly easy on the eye without the bag mounted compared to the neater Givi ring and for me would be the best choice if it works.

• 2 months later...
So I'm having the same issue at the moment, The only thing I was thinking if raising the front of the ring up a little what happens if water gets down to the bolt hole on the tank? I had minor surface rust on the factory bolts in the tank filler anyway!

Archived