New Yamaha patents for leaning 4 wheeler

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Yamaha filed patents for a leaning four wheeler which appear to be based upon the MW Vision concept from a few years back. 

Yamaha%20Leaning%20four%20wheeler.jpg

Patents unearthed by a Japanese motorcycle commentator show Yamaha...

ogp_img.png

Various information of YAMAHA's The 46th Tokyo Motor Show is available...

After watching the video what is really interesting is the fact that yamaha has at least prototyped a working self leveling system for three wheeled motorcycles in addition to a reverse function for what is presumably a battery powered engine. So in theory if Niken sales were promising, then a self leveling three wheeled electric motorcycle like the MW Vision concept might make sense. 

Would be interesting to know if it qualifies in the US as a motorcycle or a four wheel ATV.  I doubt that it would qualify as a car because of the open air configuration. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

If it has four wheels it'll be considered a car by US DOT, EPA, and most states. That means it needs to meet safety and emissions standards for cars; it can't use HOV lanes, or enjoy many of the other benefits of a two- or three-wheeler. I know some EU countries treat 4-wheel ATVs differently from cars, and a few US states do as well (Montana is one), but I don't see the four-wheeled version being a viable product. The three wheeler could work though.