Continental TKC Rocks Tires? 170 tires on 180 rim?

Has anyone done this to their Tracer 900 GT? I am thinking of putting these on for the NEBDR run I am doing in June. There is differing ideas about putting a 170 tire which is the widest Continental TKC Rocks, on a rim that is 180.  Is 10mm a bridge to far? Let the arguments commence and I thank you in advance. 

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, RichNDC said:

Has anyone done this to their Tracer 900 GT? I am thinking of putting these on for the NEBDR run I am doing in June. There is differing ideas about putting a 170 tire which is the widest Continental TKC Rocks, on a rim that is 180.  Is 10mm a bridge to far? Let the arguments commence and I thank you in advance. 

They are available in a 180/55/17

Continental_Twinduro_TKC80_Dual_Sport_Ti

Bring out your inner dirt bike with the TKC80. Tall block-pattern knobs excel...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

These are slightly different. I'm riding home to DC from the Canadian border after the BDR. I would rather have more highway friendly shoes. 

Edited by RichNDC
  • Thumbsup 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, RichNDC said:

These are slightly different. I'm riding home to DC from the Canadian border after the BDR. I would rather have more highway friendly shoes. 

Why not get a TKC70 rear: 

The best of the TKC 80 off-road tire combined with...

It's available in the correct size (which is going to help the tire perform correctly) and is specifically designed to work with the TKC80's but in a slightly more highway friendly format.  Well, may as well get both in that case, as there's a fitting front as well.  

The TKC70Rocks (what you linked) looks pretty much the same?  I'm just guessing they're different sizes, as everything else appears identical.

Edited by Wintersdark