I took one for the team

A couple of days ago Bucks Lake Rd, aka Hwy 162, aka Oro Quincy Hwy opened up to through traffic. Considering the last time I brought up this road was right after the huge wildfire from last year, where I mentioned reports of the fire having damaged the road surface, I figured it was my duty to go up and see how the road fared. 

I'm happy to report that the news of the road's demise were greatly exaggerated. The road held up perfectly, with a couple of small spots that had to be repaved. Otherwise, it's ready to ride! 

I may have to re-check again next weekend. I know that it might seem like an unnecessary burden, but I want to be sure I'm passing along verified information. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, maximo said:

A couple of days ago Bucks Lake Rd, aka Hwy 162, aka Oro Quincy Hwy opened up to through traffic. Considering the last time I brought up this road was right after the huge wildfire from last year, where I mentioned reports of the fire having damaged the road surface, I figured it was my duty to go up and see how the road fared. 

I'm happy to report that the news of the road's demise were greatly exaggerated. The road held up perfectly, with a couple of small spots that had to be repaved. Otherwise, it's ready to ride! 

I may have to re-check again next weekend. I know that it might seem like an unnecessary burden, but I want to be sure I'm passing along verified information. 

Thank you for your sacrifice!!  😎  I am glad to hear that the road is intact after the fire.

Now... inquiring minds NEED to know, - which route between Quincy and Oroville?  I will be down there in about 10 days and will be riding from Quincy to Oroville and staying in Yuba City for the night, do I take Bucks Lake Rd or Quincy La Porte Rd?  -OR-

Heading back North I was planning on riding CA32, should I ride Bucks Lake Rd back to Quincy instead for the return route?  I have never been on any of the mentioned roads so you can be my virtual tour guide and recommend "the best of the best".  👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Your sacrifice is duly noted... what a guy!   😃  😃  😃  😃  That entire area consists of motorcycle roads laid down by the Motorcycle Gods!  

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, maximo said:

Excellent!!!  Chico just had a quick moving fire.  Let's hope they settle that and there's no more in the Bucks Lake area.  

12 hours ago, betoney said:

Thank you for your sacrifice!!  😎  I am glad to hear that the road is intact after the fire.

Now... inquiring minds NEED to know, - which route between Quincy and Oroville?  I will be down there in about 10 days and will be riding from Quincy to Oroville and staying in Yuba City for the night, do I take Bucks Lake Rd or Quincy La Porte Rd?  -OR-

Heading back North I was planning on riding CA32, should I ride Bucks Lake Rd back to Quincy instead for the return route?  I have never been on any of the mentioned roads so you can be my virtual tour guide and recommend "the best of the best".  👍

Let me make sure I understand the details before recommending routes. If I understand your plans, you'll be starting in Quincy and ending up in Yuba City, and the next day you'll start in Yuba City and end up in Quincy, right? 

If I have that correctly, a follow up question: Are you looking for the twistiest roads to go directly from point A to point B?  Or are you looking to fill the day with riding, starting at point A and ending up in point B?  Or is Quincy simply a waypoint on day 2 and you'll keep going on after that? 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

12 hours ago, Old Bob said:

Quincy La Porte is more twisty = more fun

I love, love, love Quincy La Porte Rd. The 30+ mile stretch between Quincy and La Porte has to be on the top 5 of any motorcyclists list. The one downside of QLP road is the stretch between Browns Valley (Hwy 20 coming out of Marysville) and Strawberry is just ok. It's a nice road, but broken up with so many little villages along the way that you're constantly having to drop to 35 MPH. These kinds of Ridus Interruptus annoy me, so maybe I'm more sensitive to them than others. 

But is the top half of QLP road worth it? Heck Ya it is! 

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, maximo said:

Let me make sure I understand the details before recommending routes. If I understand your plans, you'll be starting in Quincy and ending up in Yuba City, and the next day you'll start in Yuba City and end up in Quincy, right? 

If I have that correctly, a follow up question: Are you looking for the twistiest roads to go directly from point A to point B?  Or are you looking to fill the day with riding, starting at point A and ending up in point B?  Or is Quincy simply a waypoint on day 2 and you'll keep going on after that? 

On the ride south I will be coming from Mount Shasta into Susanville and then Quincy and staying the night in Yuba City via La Porte Rd. 
The next morning I will be heading back north and have a choice of either Bucks Lake Road or CA32 to get me to the Lake Almanor area. I’m not needing the fastest rout or even the twistiest, merely the most enjoyable - good roads and scenery. 

25 minutes ago, maximo said:

I love, love, love Quincy La Porte Rd. The 30+ mile stretch between Quincy and La Porte has to be on the top 5 of any motorcyclists list. The one downside of QLP road is the stretch between Browns Valley (Hwy 20 coming out of Marysville) and Strawberry is just ok. It's a nice road, but broken up with so many little villages along the way that you're constantly having to drop to 35 MPH. These kinds of Ridus Interruptus annoy me, so maybe I'm more sensitive to them than others. 

But is the top half of QLP road worth it? Heck Ya it is! 

Coming from Quincy, we take Challenge Cutoff Rd. ( I think) and  Bucks Lake Rd. back to Quincy. Great loop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Bob said:

Coming from Quincy, we take Challenge Cutoff Rd. ( I think) and  Bucks Lake Rd. back to Quincy. Great loop.

That is a fantastic loop, and for a utilitarian road that simply connects two excellent riding roads, the Challenge Cutoff/Forbestown Roads are actually quite nice. 

If you do that in the next month or two, heads up that there's a ton of tree removal happening in that area right now (dead trees from the North Complex Fire).  There's tons of logging trucks on them, and the commensurate wood debris falling off of them. 

6 hours ago, betoney said:

On the ride south I will be coming from Mount Shasta into Susanville and then Quincy and staying the night in Yuba City via La Porte Rd. 
The next morning I will be heading back north and have a choice of either Bucks Lake Road or CA32 to get me to the Lake Almanor area. I’m not needing the fastest rout or even the twistiest, merely the most enjoyable - good roads and scenery. 

Your ride south is perfect. Your way back up north should definitely, without question, be Bucks Lake Rd. I'd take that over 32 ten times out of ten. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximo said:

Your ride south is perfect. Your way back up north should definitely, without question, be Bucks Lake Rd. I'd take that over 32 ten times out of ten. 

Well I guess it’s settled then. 😎.  Between the 2 routes I have planned in May and June,  your suggestions should make for some awesome riding. 

• Thumbsup 1