Spongy front brake lever

Hey guys, when i backed out the FJ from the garage for it's first ride yesterday, the front brake lever almost came in contact with my knuckles. Did it a few times after. If i pump the lever once or twice it becomes stiffer of course. I really do not feel safe with that at all in case of an emergency braking. Today after work while the bike was warming up, the ABS light was on. As soon as i rolled the bike a few inch it came of. I checked the front ABS sensor when i got home knowing some have had issues with that. Nothing wrong there. You just have to remove the screw holding the sensor. Took it out it's hole, replaced it back in. Put the screw. I don't figure out how a mechanic can do a mistake here.... Some have said that the sensor was installed the wrong way. Impossible. Canadian model by the way. It does that with engine off too. I think i will have to bleed the system.

Anyone noticed that?

Thanks,
Brad.

• Premium Member
I assume you checked the fluid level?

Did the brakes work okay when wheeled into the garage on day 1?

Done any farkling? Anything loose?

If this was my bike I would be contacting the Yamaha breakdown service and get the bike back to my dealer (in the UK). Sounds like something hasn't been assembled properly and air has got into the system.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
The brakes may never have been applied after the dealer put the front wheel on. Pump the brake lever until it get firm, then go ride gently and see if it gets spongy again. If still spongy, probably needs to be bled. If fine, then the brake shoes were not seated yet after installing the front wheel. Oh, that is normal operation for the abs light. Goes off after rolling a bit. Will do that every time. Let us know what you find out.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

No farkling. Fluid level ok. The dealer delivered it into my garage. From their trailer they rolled it into my garage.

Then honestly, you shouldn't have to mess with it. Your brakes should not be mushy.

Front calipers have to be attached to the fork tubes when the bike is set up and after the front wheel is installed.

So either: air got in the system when the bars were installed, before the front master cylinder was in its proper place or
-one of the brake lines isn't fully tight and air is getting in via the banjo bolt or
- one of the pads isn't installed correctly in the caliper bracket.

The dealer should come pick it up and make it right.

If you want to try to fix it yourself, I'd start with a brake bleed and see if there's just some air in the system.

HTH,
-skip

... I checked the front ABS sensor when i got home knowing some have had issues with that. Nothing wrong there. You just have to remove the screw holding the sensor. Took it out it's hole, replaced it back in. Put the screw. I don't figure out how a mechanic can do a mistake here.... Some have said that the sensor was installed the wrong way. Impossible.
I'm sure your sensor was installed correctly as the ABS light acted normally according to the owners manual by the way you described it. But I assure you, it is not impossible to install incorrectly. My dealer somehow managed to screw it up. It was in there crooked on my bike, believe it or not. The screw was tight, but the sensor was not set all the way in the hole so it couldn't read the speed sensor rotor properly. Now that you see how drop dead simple it is to install first hand, you can imagine how disappointed I was that they couldn't install it correctly.

Ok i have been able to reproduce the problem quite easily. I accelerate to 30kph or 20mph. Pulle the the clutch in. Pulle the brake lever really slowly and feel the lever going in towards the handle bar. I can knock it against it with no braking power. Can do it as i want since i am used how to do it. I first noticed, like i said, while backing out the garage and in slow traffic. It is not my fisrt bike btw but the first one with Abs. And if i brake normally and hard like late braking, i have plenty of braking power. Tried to bleed both sides. I ''only'' opened the bleeders 3 times each since there was no air coming out thru my clear bleedind tube. If you wonder, i had my wife pump the lever 3 times before each opening of the bleeder.

And another thing, no 2!

My handlebars seem to be out of alignment. It's like i'm turning right at slow speed when i go on a straight line.

Thing #2. When i installed my heated grips. I used this thread :http://fj-09.org/thread/580/grip-heaters-hot-oem and noticed that my handlebar risers might be installed the wrong way. Look on the 2nd and 10th picture. Mine seem to be screwed the other way around.

• Premium Member
You were looking at pictures for my bike, and I have purposely rotated my risers 180 degrees to move the bars slightly forward. This is in your owners manual as well as documented in the DIY section. Loosen your triple clamps and straighten your wheel. Then tighten it up. The torque values are also documented in the DIY section. Good luck.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived