Heated grips' effect on the width

I understand the heated grips come with extra mounts on both sides which move the grips more to the sides of the handlebar. How much wider does it actually become? it's a pretty wide handlebar already, I find, and I wound't want the grips to be any more apart than they already are. (I am 5.6, it's plenty wide for me as it is). 

Can someone post up a pic of the controller?
The OEM grips are integrated with the ECU and are controlled through the OEM switch gear and shown on the dash. There isn't any independent controller, fully integrated, plug and play. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• Premium Member
Can someone post up a pic of the controller?
The OEM grips are integrated with the ECU and are controlled through the OEM switch gear and shown on the dash. There isn't any independent controller, fully integrated, plug and play.
Wow! Plug and Play. That's pretty cool. Makes me wonder if there is an unused plug on the harness in that area for anything else.

Wow! Plug and Play. That's pretty cool. Makes me wonder if there is an unused plug on the harness in that area for anything else.

I think others have posted that there are some un-used leads in behind the dash that may be intended for lights and accessory power. Maybe switched or un-switched link to post, http://fj-09.org/thread/986/accessory-fly-leads-instrument-cluster

• Premium Member

I think others have posted that there are some un-used leads in behind the dash that may be intended for lights and accessory power. Maybe switched or un-switched link to post, http://fj-09.org/thread/986/accessory-fly-leads-instrument-cluster

I was thinking closer to the ECU, like maybe for cruise control. P-) 

I can't seem to find the thread with grips installation pictures but what it does show is that the right grip comes with its own clamp (pictures show the right side- not sure about the left side) which appears to be wider and has 2 grooves to accommodate both the throttle cable and the heated grip cable- it looks like by installing such clamp the grip is moved to the the side by 10-15mm. I will try to find that thread and will post a link to it. If someone saw it please post a link here so that others could see what I am referring to. Thanks.

Your wish is my command...

http://fj-09.org/thread/580/grip-heaters-oem

Went out and measured the stock throttle assemble and the OEM heated throttle assembly.  The right side stock throttle assembly is approximately 1/4" (approx. 6mm) shorter than the OEM heated throttle assembly. This additional width is supported with a new bar-end tread insert for the throttle side. I think it can safely be said that the bar width over all likely increases by 3/16" - 1/4" (approx. 4mm - 6mm), all on the right side...

Thanks!
I think pictures make it clear that the new, wider, right clamp moves the innermost part of the right grip more to the side, no? Since it does that only on the right side that means that the distance between the grips to the center of the handlebar will become different- longer on the right. This would create asymmetric geometry which may slightly affect both the riding position, required input on each side while counterstreering due to different leverages, and possibly cause some mental fixation/obsession/frustration depending on the individual. I, for one, like symmetry rather than asymmetry when it comes to motorcycles :)

Thanks! I think pictures make it clear that the new, wider, right clamp moves the innermost part of the right grip more to the side, no? Since it does that only on the right side that means that the distance between the grips to the center of the handlebar will become different- longer on the right. This would create asymmetric geometry which may slightly affect both the riding position, required input on each side while counterstreering due to different leverages, and possibly cause some mental fixation/obsession/frustration depending on the individual. I, for one, like symmetry rather than asymmetry when it comes to motorcycles :)

No drama, just slide the bars in the risers 2mm - 4mm to the left. The bikes are not symmetrical in any way. Nor is your human body. 

Apr 16, 2015 13:04:29 GMT -7 greg said: True. A minor asymmetry probably does not matter. But knowing that the asymmetry exists on your bike does :)

"Yep, I blew that corner because my bars were 2mm off center"......lol.gif

No one could feel that little offset, I bet we are off in our grip more than that from ride to ride.

Listening .......popcorn1.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Archived