Garmin Zumo XT GPS Mounting...

It's always on the bike on trips and use the Garmin mount.  Power is switched, IMO that is essential as I take mine off the bike when I'm leaving it even for just a minute or two.  I'm running a NordicFlash teacher as well in the exact same position also.  It's been thru 30F rides, 42F and rain, intense rain and 105F for hours all without missing a beat and the NordicFlash tether still holding fine.  Garmin mount works well but seems like it would be too easy to not get it properly snapped in the mount and oops there goes my GPS skating down the road when I need it the most.

13 hours ago, betoney said:

Coming from someone who uses a GPS on every ride, past and present bikes for over a decade, *my opinion* is that the higher the unit is into your line of sight, the less distracting and easier/safer it is to use .  If you are trying to navigate highway interchanges or more complex turn-by-turn directions, you don't want to be constantly glancing down at the bars and then back up to the street.  I have used the GPS for many years mounted in both locations and MUCH prefer the higher above the gauge mount.

Regardless of how you choose to mount the device, hardwire the unit to the bikes 'key-on' switched 12v aux. circuit, the 12v power port SUCKS.

Been thinking about this more lately and it makes sense.

Now looking at this mount:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173834500261

• Premium Member
On 7/19/2021 at 8:43 AM, j-bone said:

I tapped the ABS plastic on the top of the windshield adjuster for a 1/4 - 20 double-sided camera mount bolt:
International Standard 1/4 to 1/4 Threaded Tripod Screw Adapter Standard  Tripod Mounting Thread Camera Screw Adapter Converter|Live Tripods| -  AliExpress

Then fitted one of these these 90* 17mm ball mounts to the top of it.

VizGiz 2 Pack 1/4 inch to 17mm Ball Mount Adapter Swivel Bolt for Tripod Selfie Grip Stand Head Phone Pad Tablet Clip Cradles Clamp Holder Connector

Literally the simplest possible way to get the GPS right where I want it.

I have tried a ton of options. I never liked any of the handlebar mounts--I always wanted the GPS further up into my field of view.

Here is how it turned out... (will edit and add pictures from phone).

20210719_093652.jpg

20210719_093901.jpg

20210719_094135.jpg

On 2nd thought is the threaded adapter long enough to get a washer and nut on the underside of the windscreen adjuster?  Because vibration and bending moment loads on the adjuster plastic could cause the threads to strip with bad results...

On 7/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, PhotoAl said:

It's always on the bike on trips and use the Garmin mount.  Power is switched, IMO that is essential as I take mine off the bike when I'm leaving it even for just a minute or two. 

Would be appreciated if you could show how your switched power set up looks- directly to battery, and then...?  Will get NordicFlash tether for sure.