Aerostitch riding apparel

g8r

I wear my two piece Roadcrafter in all weather. Even in 100 degree heat. It's only uncomfortable when I'm stopped. Once moving there's enough air flow through the vents to cool you off to ambient temp. 
My first Roadcrafter was a one piece. Then I got fat, sold the suit and bought some motoport gear. When another rider crashed in front of me on my mountain road commute I decided the motoport's armor was not enough. And I'd lost weight. I got the second Roadcrafter as a two piece thinking that I'd seperate the halves and use just the jacket when running errands. I've done that maybe twice in 10 years. The one piece is more protective, less bulky, more comfortable and easier to get on and off.

I am curious on your comment regarding not enough armor on motoport. What armor did you get with it? I am not aware of any garment with better armor options (and protection) than motoport.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a seperate jacket and pants. They're at least 15 years old. They came with elbow shoulder and knee pads, just plain dense foam. No hard shell or back protector.

I got a Bohn carbon fiber back protector for my 'stich. It's made specifically for it and at the time the 'stich one wasn't that protective. I think there are other options now.

The guy who crashed in front of me went into a large log on the road side at about 70 mph. He was in good condition considering, but had at least broken some ribs. He was wearing only a jacket, no suit. That got me to thinking about my gear so I upgraded to the best available at the time. It's been about 10 years so I should probably see if there's something significantly better now.

• 1 month later...
Have a few hundred miles in my Roadcrafter 3 and I am quite impressed.

Previously I avoided riding in the rain. 10% chance of showers this afternoon? Well guess it is a good day to watch a movie. I wanted to get some new gear that was both more protective than my decade old Fieldsheer mesh and lightly Kevlar lined jeans and would significantly extend the conditions I could ride in. Enter the Roadcrafter 3...

Riding through 50-60 degree weather with steady rain has been no problem. Stayed plenty warm with a t-shirt, light weight flannel shirt, and jeans. Have not had any leakage even riding as long as two hours through steady rain.

I am hopeful I will be able to tolerate the suit come warmer drier weather but for now, well, I couldn't ask for anything better.

The fit was true to size. Aerostich CS was easy to deal with. I originally ordered a gray suit with black ballistics, but lead time on the order was 12 weeks. They had one in all black ready to go in my size, so I decided I liked black just fine. Will update the review when I have had a chance to try it on warmer days.

• 4 weeks later...
The Roadcrafter 3 continues to impress.

Supreme comfort in the rain. Stay quite comfortable in the 50s to the 70s with normal street clothes. Riding in the upper 80s with moderate humidity I was somewhat warm though I was surprised how well the ventilation works with the sleeves, arm pits, and back unzipped. I wish there was a better way to vent the legs. I suppose you could unzip the legs and leave them snapped at the very bottom, however I fear that would reduce crash protection. I was wearing normal jeans and think I would have been more comfortable wearing lighter weight clothing.

The next ride in the 80s or 90s I will try lighter clothing.

Even with the vents open comfort and air flow are definitely reduced compared with my lightweight mesh jacket, however I am still willing to make the trade for the added protection. We'll see if I feel the same way when we hit the 90s.

What d of wind René do you have on the FJ when wearing mesh? I find with tall screens not all mesh work the same. Specifically if sides are not mesh, only the front is, a smaller wind screen is needed to stay cool. With my all mesh jacket, I don't mind the tall screen in the heat.

• 3 weeks later...
We hit 90 degrees the other day and I took the opportunity to ride 200 miles (in the interest of science of course). The first 100 were in my old Fieldsheer Mach something or other mesh and jeans. The second 100 I did in my Roadcrafter 3 wearing lightweight running clothes underneath. For both rides I wore a Shoei Neotec, Held Air-N-Dry gloves, and Dianese TRQ Tour Goretex boots with alpinestars full length socks.

I thought for sure the mesh would kill the Aerostich in terms of comfort. I was wrong.

Both were quite hot in stop and go traffic, but once out on the road going 40-55 I actually thought the Aerostich vented a bit better. How that's possible I have no idea. The other jacket is completely mesh. I also found my legs stayed equally warm in jeans and the Aerostich. I would definitely appreciate more (any) venting for my legs.

Guess I really have found my year round all weather suit!

• Premium Member
We hit 90 degrees the other day and I took the opportunity to ride 200 miles (in the interest of science of course). The first 100 were in my old Fieldsheer Mach something or other mesh and jeans. The second 100 I did in my Roadcrafter 3 wearing lightweight running clothes underneath. For both rides I wore a Shoei Neotec, Held Air-N-Dry gloves, and Dianese TRQ Tour Goretex boots with alpinestars full length socks. 
I thought for sure the mesh would kill the Aerostich in terms of comfort. I was wrong.

Both were quite hot in stop and go traffic, but once out on the road going 40-55 I actually thought the Aerostich vented a bit better. How that's possible I have no idea. The other jacket is completely mesh. I also found my legs stayed equally warm in jeans and the Aerostich. I would definitely appreciate more (any) venting for my legs.

Guess I really have found my year round all weather suit!

I dropped lucky and caught a forum post by my local BMW dealer, clearing their store room for a new version of the BMW Rallye suit - I got a pair of the trousers/pants for £150 which is about $3 now.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/04/27/2015-bmw-rallye-suit-review-staple-adv-gear-refined/

Worn for 1800 miles around France. Waterproof liner zips in & out in a couple of minutes. Without the liner this is the best trousers I have worn in summer. have a Helly Hansen base layer underneath and for once, I did not get that horrible heat rash I have had in the past, using cheaper trouser that had the waterproof layer bonded to the outer fabric.

Only downside is I had no choice of colour so have the full "Ewan & Charlie" adventure look in a tasteful grey. Darker colours are available if you pay full price.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

That sounds quite a steal!

With the exchange rate perhaps it is time for another vacation across the pond. Perhaps I could even convince my wife to let us tour on motorcycle. I have been to England and Wales many times, but always wanted to see Scotland.

• Premium Member
Both were quite hot in stop and go traffic, but once out on the road going 40-55 I actually thought the Aerostich vented a bit better.

Thanks for the report! I have a new R-3 on order but it's 8-10 weeks out. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to my old two piece Roadcrafter. I've always appreciated the convenience and versatility of the two piece, but it could be pretty warm on hot days.

I was the original poster on this thread and after a good deal of research I bought the Aerostitch Darien light jacket. I also own an older mesh jacket. We are having daily highs in the low 90s. After swapping between the mesh jacket and the Darien, I definitely prefer the Darien. It's ventilation is superior and cooler than the mesh. I believe the reason it works so well is because air enters at the cuffs and in the armpit area and exhausts out of the zippered flaps on the back. if it ever needs replacing I will buy the regular Darien that is heavier and has more abrasion resistance. This is a real quality piece of clothing and it is made in the USA.

Archived