Aerostitch riding apparel

g8r

Has anyone had expereince with Aerostitch Darien Light riding apparel? I live in SW Florida and need grear that is waterproof and breathable.  The Darien has Gore Tex built in and the online reviews have been highly complimentary. It is pricey, about $590 for the jacket.  My current gear requires a zip in liner to get waterproof status. That doesn't work well in Florida during most of the year.  We have 2 seasons, summer and not summer and average annual rainfall of 53 inches.  Any advice will be helpful.

I've had the FJ 09 for 3 months and logged 1000 miles.  I am very happy with the bike.

G8r
2012 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Honda CB 750 Nighthawk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Has anyone had expereince with Aerostitch Darien Light riding apparel? I live in SW Florida and need grear that is waterproof and breathable.  The Darien has Gore Tex built in and the online reviews have been highly complimentary. It is pricey, about $590 for the jacket.  My current gear requires a zip in liner to get waterproof status. That doesn't work well in Florida during most of the year.  We have 2 seasons, summer and not summer and average annual rainfall of 53 inches.  Any advice will be helpful.
I've not used the Darien, but I have used their higher-end Roadcrafter.  The Darien has traditionally been a lighter weight version of that, but two-piece.  (The Roadcrafter was optionally two-piece, and I had the two-piece variant.) 
Mostly all I can do is sing praises.  Aerostich makes quality suits.

Having said that, the older units had some trouble with leaking around the zippers; if you were in heavy rain for more than about 45 minutes you'd start to get wet crotch syndrome as water leaked in and puddled there.  For rides shorter than 45 minutes I went through some pretty heinous rain with little to no leakage.  To avoid leakage on longer rides I usually threw on rain gear over the Roadcrafter.

In more recent years they have switched to using zippers that are much more water-resistant, so I believe the time-to-leak numbers are much better now -- although I have no first hand experience.

The other problem that those suits have had is that they're pretty damn hot.  The owner of Aerostich has a particular philosophy about suit design and thinks that improved ventilation is not as important as rain resistance.  Given where the company is that's a great tradeoff for him, but get down in warmer climes and you might have different priorities.  Unfortunately, even though the higher end suits can be highly customized, about this one point you have no choice.

I solved the hot weather problem by having a second set of mesh stuff (originally from Joe Rocket, but that was complete crap and literally came apart at the seams just wearing it, now from RevIt and that's holding up very nicely).  If it's hot and not rainy I wear the mesh.

I love the hell out of how easy it is to get the Aerostich suit on and off.  They claim you can do it in like 10 seconds for the one-piece version of the Roadcrafter, and maybe 20 seconds for the split suit (the Darien should be comparable, it is the same zipper design I believe), but that's overstating it a bit.  Nevertheless it's the easiest stuff I've ever used in this respect.

Aerostich stuff is nicely crash-worthy (the full Roadcrafter suits are EXCEPTIONALLY crash-worthy) and they have a repair service.

Overall: Good company and good products.  Not sure I would bet on even the new stuff being fully waterproof for extended periods of time, although it should be good enough for day-to-day, and in a hot climate you're going to be pretty steamy regardless of the Gore-Tex.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I've a Darien jacket, not a light one but other than difference in outer cordura, they're the same jacket. High quality for sure. It can be essentially tailored to fit you exactly. They are warm & I don't think even with their vents open I'd want to wear one exclusively. In Florida for a couple more weeks & I use mesh in this mid 80's temps.

I've not used the Darien, but I have used their higher-end Roadcrafter.

Mostly all I can do is sing praises.  Aerostich makes quality suits.

Aerostich stuff is nicely crash-worthy (the full Roadcrafter suits are EXCEPTIONALLY crash-worthy) and they have a repair service.

I was wearing a well used Roadcrafter when I hit my second deer. I hit the tarmac at about 35 - 40 mph. No broken bones, no roadrash, and I was able to continue riding home (800 miles!) after adding some ductape to the Roadcrafter. The whole right side was abraded, from the knee up to the shoulder. I slid completely on my side to a stop, no rolling. I landed shoulder first, and that did wear through to the shoulder pad. Did not wear right through anywhere else.
I have another Roadcrafter now. Good suits!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I have the Darien light jacket and pants. Pretty versatile and waterproof, but still too much for hot/humid Florida summers. If I'm riding in those conditions and expecting rain, I still pack my trusty (and cheap) Frogg Toggs. Waterproof and breathable, they work well over my riding gear.

The other problem that those suits have had is that they're pretty damn hot.  The owner of Aerostich has a particular philosophy about suit design and thinks that improved ventilation is not as important as rain resistance.  Given where the company is that's a great tradeoff for him, but get down in warmer climes and you might have different priorities.  Unfortunately, even though the higher end suits can be highly customized, about this one point you have no choice.

I solved the hot weather problem by having a second set of mesh stuff (originally from Joe Rocket, but that was complete crap and literally came apart at the seams just wearing it, now from RevIt and that's holding up very nicely).  If it's hot and not rainy I wear the mesh.

I love the hell out of how easy it is to get the Aerostich suit on and off.  They claim you can do it in like 10 seconds for the one-piece version of the Roadcrafter, and maybe 20 seconds for the split suit (the Darien should be comparable, it is the same zipper design I believe), but that's overstating it a bit.  Nevertheless it's the easiest stuff I've ever used in this respect.

I've had a one-piece Roadcrafter for almost 15 years, and I agree on most of what JimF posted.  I've ridden Coast to Coast in mine, from temps in the 30s to over 100. 
It's a fantastic suit for cool, wet weather.  Great protection and utility, very easy to get on/off, especially once you're used to it.  The suit itself, however, isn't very warm.  There is a lining, but no insulation so you'll need to layer up for colder weather.  For hot weather, I'll just say it... they suck.  Rudimentary ventilation that doesn't work all that well.  Waterproofing is best if renewed with products like Nikwax annually.  There is a good trick for hot weather that works, but has drawbacks:  fill all the exterior pockets with ice.  It works GREAT (the melting ice cools you off, but you stay dry), but only lasts ~30 minutes when the temps are over 100.  The other problem is you look like a sprinkler going down the road, and it makes a mess of your bike. 

I actually haven't used mine in a number of years.  I bought it when I had a VStrom, so I didn't have it tailored for a sport riding position, and I've been on a Hayabusa for the past 5 years.  It was way too tight in the shoulders with the forward lean.  I'm kind of looking forward to breaking it out of the closet again now that I have the FJ09.  But I'll only be using it for cooler weather here in AZ.

deerslayer, I thought i was the only guy I knew who'd hit a deer on a bike.  I got my muley doe broadside just south of Boulder, Co and ducked behind the fairing.  Still ended up in the hospital.  But two???  The most unique damage to the bike was the hole in the seat leather when I puckered up at about 85.... ;)
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

deerslayer, I thought i was the only guy I knew who'd hit a deer on a bike.  I got my muley doe broadside just south of Boulder, Co and ducked behind the fairing.  Still ended up in the hospital.  But two???  The most unique damage to the bike was the hole in the seat leather when I puckered up at about 85.... ;)
A friend has also hit deer twice while riding, and once while driving. We don't ride or drive together! :-S

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
A friend has also hit deer twice while riding, and once while driving. We don't ride or drive together! :-S

I think you're looking at this wrong.  If it's going to happen, you'd rather your odds be 1:2 than 1:1.  (rofl) 
Thankfully I've not had even a close call with a deer yet, and I hope not to, but even outside of The Usual Suspects that deersSlayer and I know who've hit deer I have other friends and co-workers who have as well.  One was pretty seriously injured, they had to rebuild his leg.

Since my day-to-day riding is urban/dense suburban there aren't a lot of deer around to begin with, and on daily rides I don't tend to ride at dusk or after dark.  That surely helps reduce potential dear contact.

Turkeys, though ... lots of near-misses with turkeys in the last couple of years.  I grew up in New England not seeing a single wild turkey in more than forty years, but in the last couple of years barely a week goes by in the non-winter months without seeing one wandering around in the road.  They're not up to the numbers of Canadian geese, but at least the geese usually have the sense to stay out of the way.  While not as devastating to hit as a deer, you don't want to hit a turkey at highway speeds on a bike either.

Be careful out there, the wildlife is out to kill us.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 1 month later...
I'll bump this, since I actually wore my Roadcrafter 1pc on the FJ9 the other day.

As I noted, I hadn't worn it in years, because the fit wasn't comfortable with the riding position on my Hayabusa. It's perfect, however, for the FJ9.

I had to ride to Phoenix (I live in Prescott, which is in the mountains at 5000ft) for a business meeting, so I started the day in the 50's, and it was in the mid 70's when I arrived at the meeting. It was in the mid 80's when I left. I ran a couple of errands around Phoenix, then took the long way home, where it was in the high 60's at the end of the ride. For this temperature range, the 'Stich works really well. I wore a fleece (military style jacket liner) under it for the morning leg, and had the armpit and back vents open for the warmer middle of the day, and then closed the vents for the last leg home. Wearing work clothes (khakis and a polo shirt) underneath, I was comfortable all day.  Total miles was around 220.

This is where the 'Stich shines... street clothes underneath, so you shuck the suit, leave it on the bike, and except for boots you look normal. Put the suit back on, and you're AGATT, ready to rock. It really is a good setup. As long as it doesn't get much warmer than 85 degrees...

The only other issue is that it's a little bulky to leave on the bike. I have a 1/2 cover that packs small, so I use a cable lock to secure the 'Stich to the bars, then put the cover over the bike, so it's out of sight and out of mind.

I will definitely be putting the 'Stich back in the rotation now that I have the FJ9, but it will be put away for summer soon, to come back out in fall.

• Premium Member
I know the original question was about the Darien, which is a completely different design, but regarding the Roadcrafter:

The two piece Roadcrafter is more water resistant than the one piece. The biggest difference is that the jacket overlaps the pants in the front, so the material doesn't create a pool near your crotch to inevitably leak. The two halves zip together so you still have basically the same quick on/off as the one piece. I've done many long, rainy rides in the PNW with my Roadcrafter and very seldom has leakage been a problem.

Aerostich products are a little spendy, but their quality is the industry standard, they offer repairs and tailoring, and their suits are all made in Duluth, MN by American workers being paid a good, living wage.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want venting and protection, the Klim Induction is probably one of the best choices. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-induction-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=943989&gclid=CKPN1KTzkMYCFYZcfgod4FYAHQ

It should be noted the Kevlar mesh can be pretty uncomfortable in the joints.  I would have picked up this jacket if it was not uncomfortable in the elbows.

I was about to buy one of the light versions when I ran into this: http://www.motoport.com 
Riding in high 90's and humidity as comfortable as possible while having the best protection available is what I want. I have not ordered yet but it will replace all my mesh jackets and my revit pant (that I absolutely love).
Wow, Motoport is still around... 
I have a pair of their over pants from the 90s (in a storage bin, somewhere), and a friend has one of their suits.  Their stuff was always good quality, but bulky and clunky.  From the pics on their site, it looks like that hasn't changed much.  There's no way in hell I would pay $4-500 for a mesh jacket.

The Klim stuff looks nice, but again, it's pricey.  I've seen a lot of crashes with typical mesh gear like Joe Rocket here in AZ, and it does pretty well in a street crash, but you're not going to be re-using it.  As long as it saves a trip to the ER, IMHO it's done it's job. 

Archived