2 nd test ride on fj09 today you guys very helpful last post

i went back today for a second test ride and your opinions and suggestions on my first test ride were very helpful. i listened to you and corrected my riding for this bike.

today was a good experience. as it was suggested ,i was not doing the throttle  correctly. i am used to a cable  and this new computer aided throttle is too sensitive. i was able not only to get good control of it but  i also rode in A mode on I95 and in back roads and streets with lights .all fine.,no jerkiness at all.

but i did find that the A or STD mode do not really add any power to the bike. all  it does is create a faster reaction to the twisting of the throttle.or , change the degrees of twist . thus ,a more NOW factor.

on I95 i noticed ,and also elsewhere that the bike does have vibrations as you enter 4,800 rpm and they go away and return and so on...but not a major issue ..i felt it thru the pegs and also the roar of the bike came thru loud and clear  at higher rpm's.

the wind does hit me at shoulder and chest level...ok in summer but not so good in winter .position of screen was up.

great handling .

the seat kept pulling me forward even at the high position.easy fix ,just have to open it up and replace the foam they use with ensolite closed cell material which i have done on all my bikes , and contour the seat for a lean back position.

at the end of this short ride i still do not know .............maybe the rt is for me ,who knows ...but i do like the low weight of this bike. and the fun factor..unfortunately when a bike or car has a great fun factor it is usually miserable on long trips . and i do take long trips and also no longer care to have two or more bikes ........we will see .

ffb13...I don't know if you've been there yet but among the most valuable info for me on this website was the "FJ-09 Lowest Price Out the Door" thread.  Must reading if your considering a purchase.  It literally saved me hundreds of dollars, maybe more than a thousand.  I would certainly have negotiated the price anyway, but not to the extent that I found on that thread.  Being a new model I had originally assumed that they wouldn't be "that" negotiable.  Which would have been a big mistake.  Anyway, good luck and happy riding, whatever you choose! 

• Premium Member
I have never had the problem of the bike pulling me forward. Weird, but you are not the only one to comment on this. I love my FJ/tracer and am very happy with the purchase. Very comfortable for me, and extremely light for a sporttouring bike. You will know when a bike if perfect for you. For me, the FJ is, but different strokes etc.....
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Some people, including me, found the seat on the original XT1200Z Super Tenere made them slide forward. Maybe it's a Yamaha thing. Anyway, the problem was easily sorted by adding thicker rubber bumpers to the front of the seat. Easy to adapt yourself, but IIRC the thicker pads came from the XV1100 Cruiser thing and were a couple of quid for the 4 needed.

I must admit that I hadn't noticed anything until I changed from using my Rukka winter suit to taking a ride in jeans or my summer cordura trousers made by Spada. I have found myself sliding forward more when slowing down as they must be less grippy than the Rukka fabric. Not enough to bother me as I adapt by gripping the tank with a knee or simply pushing back in the seat.

For some, raising the front of the seat may work, or it may be they have the front in the low position and the rear in the high slot. Seems this is possible and probably the root of the wobbly seat some report.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

regarding price ....without me negotiating i was given a price of $9550.00 and $10,450 out the door plus tax.this is about freight and addl.profit . the inventories are very low and few are left at yamaha due to brisk sales that have exceeded their forecast
in th emiami area they are sold out . in the north east not so much

I am pleased the replies to your first post helped and your second ride was a better experience.

but i did find that the A or STD mode do not really add any power to the bike.

The modes do not alter the power, the engine will reach max HP and torque in each mode, it just takes longer in B mode than Std and is quickest to get there in A

unfortunately when a bike or car has a great fun factor it is usually miserable on long trips

I do hope you are wrong in this case, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I find mine doesn't live up to expectations on my long trips.

Let us know how you get on with your decision, whichever way you chose.

• Premium Member

unfortunately when a bike or car has a great fun factor it is usually miserable on long trips
I do hope you are wrong in this case, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I find mine doesn't live up to expectations on my long trips.
I spent a quality 7 hours on the bike yesterday, 220+ miles of backroads.  It was very close to as comfortable as the Versys I rented last fall (where I did several 13-hour days in a row) except that the seat as a bit of an edge to it.  Not enough to be bothersome to me, but I noticed. 
The stock cushioning was firm enough for me.  I would like a more slippery cover to help me move around, I may have it re-upholstered.

Anyway, this thing is easily long-distance comfortable if you ask me.  Not the best I've ever been on, but plenty good enough.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest eatpasta
i went back today for a second test ride and your opinions and suggestions on my first test ride were very helpful. i listened to you and corrected my riding for this bike. 

ffb - Im going to move this over to the general area since it's just a general post about the bike. 
   Hopefully you have the chance to pick one up soon!

Archived