SatNav

johan

Guest dmizer
Now that I've gone to an intercom unit I'm considering going back to my iPhone as my main GPS source. Having directions in my ear is a really nice thing, and I'm not quite ready to spend a lot of money on a new GPS.
I actually make extensive use of both. The phone is a fantastic way to get from point A to B, and you always have your phone with you. On longer trips, that can be a problem unless you have it connected to power during the ride.

A dedicated GPS unit like the Zumo is great for planning and following a specific route and for creating a route to share with other riders for a group ride. It's also more reliable because you don't need broadband connectivity for the map to work. For the same reason, it saves you on your monthly download limits on your cell phone.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of which are major concerns for me personally... I've got power for the phone in two locations on the bike (saddlebag or at the bars), and I have unlimited data :)

That said, I DO like a dedicated GPS unit that works well (and I do have a TomTom with mounts ready to be used whenever), but util I can get one that works in my intercom too, I'm going to use the phone mostly.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Archived