A VISIT TO WALES UK

Guest brianwindmill

Guest brianwindmill
What with all the new owners in the UK  any one up for a meet up like the one we had in Oxford any idea's.

• Premium Member
What with all the new owners in the UK  any one up for a meet up like the one we had in Oxford any idea's.
If you can organise the weather Brian! I'm trying to work out a mini tour for one of the upcoming bank holiday weekends to Wales. Based near Powys, one day towards Snowdonia and one day towards Brecon. I guess it will always be a bit of a gamble in May

• Premium Member
OK, I am planning to visit Wales during the early May bank holiday weekend. Is there anybody on this forum that knows anything about Wales? Is this way too ambitious for one day; 245 miles of twisty roads?

Builth Wells, Builth Wells, Powys, UK

21 km / 13 miles, 

Rhayader

36 km / 22 miles,

Caersws

36 km / 23 miles,

Machynlleth

17 km / 10 miles,

Aberdovey (Lunch)

46 km / 29 miles, 

Barmouth

16 km / 10 miles,

Dolgellau

48 km / 30 miles, 

Borth

11 km / 7 miles, 

Aberystwyth

26 km / 16 miles,

Aberaeron

12 km / 8 miles, 

New Quay Tourist Information Centre

60 km / 37 miles, 

Llandovery

34 km / 21 miles,

Brecon

23 km / 14 miles, 

Builth Wells, Builth Wells, Powys UK

• Premium Member
Well, as a resident Welshman, I may know the odd thing about Wales :)

That route is eminently doable as the roads are main ones, as long as you don't want to stop to do some flower pressing every half hour.

You've missed out the most scenic roads by avoiding the lumpy bits in the middle of your loop.

Have a look at the Aberystwyth Mountain road from Rhayader to Cwmystwyth

The road from Tregarron to Abergwesyn (or the loop around Llyn Brianne to Llandovery)

Both of these will be good ways to get to the coast from Builth Wells. Probably twice a year I ride from Cheltenham to Aberaeron over the Cwmystwyth road on the way there and via Llyn Brianne on the way back. That's 280 miles, half of which is on single track roads.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Aberystwyth to Llangurig on the A44 mountain road, then onto the A470 to Rhayader, stop for a brew then turn around and do it again the other way- fantastic roads and I plan on doing them again soon, but not on a bank holiday as every biker around will be out, and the bloody caravans, and our mates collecting revenue for their xmas party !! ( sorry scuff  :D ) 
but as wessie says, sometimes its best to get off the A roads and go for a bimble on the B roads,and/or  head for any resevior (?) and the roads are normaly well surfaced single track roads.
if you want a biker friendly b&b in Aberystwyth let me know, i found a good one last september when i had 3 days around the area your looking at.

If you can organise the weather Brian! I'm trying to work out a mini tour for one of the upcoming bank holiday weekends to Wales. Based near Powys, one day towards Snowdonia and one day towards Brecon. I guess it will always be a bit of a gamble in May
You're going to Wales...  Pretty solid chance you're going to get wet!! :) 
Actually, I've spent many days in Wales on the bike and never had a drop of rain, although I believe that is pure luck more than anything.  My first bike mini tour was there...  

Full report here if anyone's interested...  You'll finder a younger, fatter version of me there!! :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468598

If you want an amazing road to ride you need the A483 from Newtown to Crossgates.  Possibly the best road I've ridden...  It's for riding though, not for scenery.

For stopping places, I'd recommend Lake Bala at the north end (Where Guy Martin did his "Motorbike across water" thingy).

The Ponderosa Cafe is great for food and drink on the Horseshoe Pass (A452) and a regular haunt for bikers...  Can be a little breezy up there though!!

Barmouth is a nice stop off point if the seaside is your thing.

For "OMG, Wales is the most beautiful place in world" scenery, consider the A4086 from Capel Curig which if you follow veers off to the right at a T-junction which takes you through Pen-y-Pass

Pen-y-Pass

Wales160.jpg

Wales173.jpg

Wales161.jpg

Just outside Capel Curig

Wales020.jpg

Oh, I'd join you guys, but it's a mixture of birthday celebrations and Oulton Park BSB that weekend!!

• Premium Member
Thanks, this is helpful and I'm looking forward to it. If changed plans, am now going the Spring bank holiday at end of May. Booked a place at Rhayader which I'll use as my base.

• Premium Member
Rhayader is a good base as it's where the A470 & A44 cross. Call at Dom's on the A44/A49 junction near Leominster

A couple of nice pubs in Rhayader but it will be very busy that week as there are lots of campsites too.

Keep us appraised of your plans and we may be able to organise a ride on the Sunday or Monday of that week. 

Aberaeron, near my birth place, is a favourite lunch stop. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived