FJ-09....Meet Your Grandfather the TDM 850!

You might not be familiar with this bike, but it's certainly the "grandad" of the FJ-09.  The TDM 850 was an early move by Yamaha into the big-motor dual sport market.  Too early.  After slow sales Yamaha ceased importing them to the USA after only two years, 1992 and 1993.  They are still popular eveywhere but North America.  This is a 1993 that I bought brand new and have owned for 22 years.  The FJ-09 is my first brand new bike since then. (I have had other used ones, but never sold the TDM).  The similarities are obvious.  Both 850s, TDM is a parallel twin, FJ a triple, both cutting edge for their day.  Just thought you might enjoy seeing them side-by-side.
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/BillClawson/Motorcycles/fj%20and%20tdm_zps19scwma8.jpg

• Premium Member
I had a yellow mk2 TDM850 bought new in 1996. Owned it for 3 years and changed for a CBR600F which I didn't enjoy so much

Yes, the Tracer is very similar and I'm riding it in a very similar style, except the TCS & ABS on the Tracer stop some of the rear wheel tomfoolery I enjoyed on the TDM, chirping the rear tyre on down changes.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I wasn't quick enough to jump on the TDM and missed it. Not happening with the FJ-09.
Just got back from a week of riding with some Ducati brothers in NorCal and had a message that the recall work was done on my FJ and ready for pick up.

• Premium Member
I just realised, that the US didn't get the mk2 TDM with the modified engine derived from the TRX850, which became the TDM900 and a version of which still powers the XTZ1200. They revised the crank to 270deg IIRC so the parallel twin firing order mimicked a Ducati V twin. It made the bike quite a beast compared to the original version with the conventional 180 degree crank.

Did the US get the TRX850? If not, you missed out on 2 of Yamaha's best, but niche, bikes from the 1990s.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just realised, that the US didn't get the mk2 TDM with the modified engine derived from the TRX850, which became the TDM900 and a version of which still powers the XTZ1200. They revised the crank to 270deg IIRC so the parallel twin firing order mimicked a Ducati V twin. It made the bike quite a beast compared to the original version with the conventional 180 degree crank. 
Did the US get the TRX850? If not, you missed out on 2 of Yamaha's best, but niche, bikes from the 1990s.
Sorry to be so slow.  No, the US only got the 1992 (red) and 1993 (purple, or whatever like mine) models.  Our loss, your gain!  

Sorry to be so slow.  No, the US only got the 1992 (red) and 1993 (purple, or whatever like mine) models.  Our loss, your gain!
Wessi, The O.F is right ... USA only got the "Tedium" two years and Yamaha pulled it. A lot of execs. at American Yamaha had to fall on their swords for that debacle. One of the biggest disasters of the 90's for Yamaha, and probably the reason they never brought in the 660 Tenere'.

I owned a red '92. Dealers were nearly giving them away. So cheap. But the bike really was a loser I'm sad to say and I wish I'd test ridden it before buying. I traded it on a dirt bike after 3 years and did well on the exchange (surprising!)

In 2001 rode with guys on new gen TDM900 in the UK and in France saw the TRX at a rally. Never did get to ride either, my loss as I hear they were huge improvement over original Tedium. The TDM900 guys were making good progress ... I was on a '99 900 Tiger, so even match. Biggest knock on my '92 was uncertain handling, top heavy feel, dull sound and marginal brakes. (before the crank change you mentioned ... really a flat, boring sound ...even with my pipe on)

I nearly lost my life a few times on that bike (trying to make it do things it did not want to do ... it would run wide) Tires were such crap back then compared to now, did not help. So glad I got out alive.

I bought a TDM850 mk2 in 1998, road all over UK and europe on it, last trip was in 2014 to north Spain over pyrenees with a mate on an FJR1300,  The TDM didn't flinch once but the FJR suffered altitude sickness, which Yamaha wont fix for less than £500.

The TDM was a dream for me, felt comfortable and could have ridden all day on, quite often did when touring before sat navs...

Even the dog was able to help me maintain the TDM...

I hope the new replacement works as well and the TDM can enjoy the retirement..

http://i.imgur.com/Q9nzias.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Qaakxmj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PIj8L0d.jpg

• 4 months later...
I bought the exact same coloured MkI TDM850 back in 1996,yours looks in great condition. I have subsequently owned a silver TDM850 mkI and a black TDM 900.
I am currently doing my home work on the Tracer (but keep getting distracted by a 2013 Multistrada 1200)
Tam

While I've received feedback that I can make some cryptic references, allow me to suggest that one of the reasons for the poor sales in America of the TDM 850 is that no motorcycle's name should essentially spell "tedium". That's just too much like Toyota's acronym for "Toyota Racing Division"- TRD- essentially spelling "turd" and Chevy's Nova not selling well in Spanish speaking countries because there "no va" means "doesn't go".

Just sayin'

• Premium Member
I think the TDM failed in the USA because at the time everyone wanted cruisers or sportbikes. It was just too weird for Americans.

I remember Yamaha showing a prototype TDM at the '91 USGP at Laguna Seca. They had people standing around with clipboards and I'm one of the people who told them, "Yes, this is cool! Sell it!" So I guess it's partly my fault.

I had a green mark 1 TDM and a yellow mark2. Also had a TRX for a short while. The Mk 2 and the TRX had 90 degree motors IIRC, which was supposed to replicate the power pulse of a V twin. Which it kind of did.

I also had a go on a TDM which had was a magazine project bike - Marchesini wheels, bigger bore, skimmed and has flowed etc etc. Felt incredibly quick at the time but of course it wouldn't get near the Tracer!

Archived