• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Glare from display unit

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I find excessive glare at certain times from the fairly large 'multi-function meter unit', with its glass screen.
Lucky you, some might say, having enough sun to cause glare!
I've experienced the same thing on previous bikes, such as the GS, but because the Tracer unit is so large it's particularly annoying and potentially dangerous.   Of course, it's not a design fault, just Mother Nature at work...
Are there any solutions to this - other than only riding at night? - maybe some kind of flip-down hinged tinted shade?
L of S

Ride with an umbrella on sunny days, or every time the glare hits, pop a wheelie.

I've experienced the same as well which I've never had on my other bike... Generally I just tilt my head, duck or sit up to move it out of the glare.

They make a lot of anti-glare screen protectors for tablets, laptops, phones etc.  You could try to cut one to fit the size of the Tracer screen, I would bet that a tablet screen protector might work great for this.  I don't have mine yet to size it up vs a tablet but here is an example of what i'm talking about.

• Premium Member
The glare is even worse on the mammoth sized Yamaha Touring screen I have acquired from @grosgym. Another reason why I prefer the tinted Powerbronze job...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I found the glare pretty bad once the thing gets dirty :-). I can't say I consider it a huge problem, but I'm thinking about adding some kind of sun shade.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Rules out the UK then  been sunny all this week  ;) Mind you should be back to normal from tomorrow 8D
Dunno, Inverness might be suitable from late October till early March. Snow tyres with spikes?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
They make a lot of anti-glare screen protectors for tablets, laptops, phones etc.  You could try to cut one to fit the size of the Tracer screen, I would bet that a tablet screen protector might work great for this.  I don't have mine yet to size it up vs a tablet but here is an example of what i'm talking about.

Thanks db - I have ordered a pack of 10 x films suitable for a Galaxy S3 mobile phone, which will fit the bike's screen perfectly. Grand sum of $1.95!   If it works I'll proceed to get a hard material that I can make into some sort of flip-down/ up piece.
To all the would-be comics - don't give up your daytime jobs just yet!!
L of s

Archived