Is there a crack on your frame ?

EDIT: For future readers, after several feedbacks, it's just a little "mark" because of the mold, nothing to worry about

Hi there !

We are several FJ-09 owners in France noticing what appears to be like a crack on the right side of the frame, as seen in the pictures below (Each picture is a different FJ-09).

Mine with 1000 miles:
img_2038.jpg

Another one with 1000 miles:
p1030126.jpg

Another one with 2100 miles:
20150404_183136.jpg

We do have reports that even brand new bikes (still in shop) have it too...

Do you guys noticed it on your bikes ? Should we be concerned ?

P.S.: If I'm in the wrong forum category, I'm sorry. Please move it elsewhere.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine has this too. I have been keeping an eye on it. I assumed it was a casting flaw. Sure hope so. For what it's worth, it was like this from delivery.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
Mine has this too. I have been keeping an eye on it. I assumed it was a casting flaw. Sure hope so. For what it's worth, it was like this from delivery.
From the pictures I think a casting flaw is unlikely.  Notice two things: 
1. The cracks are not the same in every case.  If it were a casting flaw they would be carbon copies of each other.

2. The finish is chipped.  This implies distortion after the finish was applied.

My understanding is that this frame is cast using a relatively new process that allows the use of significantly less material.  It may well be that they used too little, or that those bolts are over-torqued and caused damage, or it might just be cracks in the anodized outer layer and nothing to be concerned about.

I would keep an eye on them -- take pictures, both to document that it was there early in the bike's life and so that you can compare them as the bike ages.

I'll have to go take a look at mine once the caffeine kicks in this morning.  If there is something there I'll point it out to the dealer in another week or two when I take it in for first service.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I noticed what looked like a scratch on the right hand side frame. I saw it whilst the bike was being handed over to me, the dealer put it in the workshop and after some time it came back with the defect far less noticeable.

1. The cracks are not the same in every case.  If it were a casting flaw they would be carbon copies of each other.

2. The finish is chipped.  This implies distortion after the finish was applied.

My understanding is that this frame is cast using a relatively new process that allows the use of significantly less material.  It may well be that they used too little, or that those bolts are over-torqued and caused damage, or it might just be cracks in the anodized outer layer and nothing to be concerned about.

I would keep an eye on them -- take pictures, both to document that it was there early in the bike's life and so that you can compare them as the bike ages.

I'll have to go take a look at mine once the caffeine kicks in this morning.  If there is something there I'll point it out to the dealer in another week or two when I take it in for first service.
Actually, if you look again, the chipping/cracking is nearly identical on all three. 
I'm an aircraft mechanic, it's literally my job to find and diagnose cracks in aluminum.  This looks like there is a separate "plug" in the mold for the engine mount bolt recess, and the seam between these and the main portion of the mold is not perfect.  It's unlikely all or even most FJs will have this inclusion, as they would have to come from the exact same mold, around the same time period to have the inclusion.

I wouldn't be worried about it in the slightest.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Actually, if you look again, the chipping/cracking is nearly identical on all three. 
I'm an aircraft mechanic, it's literally my job to find and diagnose cracks in aluminum.  This looks like there is a separate "plug" in the mold for the engine mount bolt recess, and the seam between these and the main portion of the mold is not perfect.  It's unlikely all or even most FJs will have this inclusion, as they would have to come from the exact same mold, around the same time period to have the inclusion.

I noticed this on mine also when I cleaned it for the first time. Looked like a casting "mark".

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Actually, if you look again, the chipping/cracking is nearly identical on all three. [...]
OK, I have the same thing, and in person it doesn't look like chipping like I thought, and I overlayed my image with one of the ones above and you're certainly right that they're near identical.  I'll defer to your expertise and not worry about it. 
If my engine falls out I'll come looking for you though.  ;)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Got a much smaller line. About 15mm just going over the top of the circle. Bike has 550 miles on it.

I'm taking mine for it's 1st service tomorrow. I'll point it out, but to be honest I'm not concerned about it.

Mine looks very similar. Looks superficial. I will mention it to the dealer, but I am also not concerned with it. I'm at 800km

On French forums, we just had feedbacks from two chief mechanic from two different dealers. Both said that it is a little "mark" because of the mold, nothing to worry about.
One just received a brand new FZ-09 (literally, just out of the truck) and it had this tiny little "mark" as well on the right hand side of the frame.

Proof on this brand new FZ-09:
2t24mO.jpg
UBprHA.jpg

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Same here - the offending spot is the front (of two) bolt-head recess, rhs of the bike.   It's identical to the other pix posted here.    All others are clean. It feels almost as if a bit of swarf from some machining is trapped under the paint... the mark extends around about one-third of the circumference of the recess, and has a cuppla tiny radiating marks too. I took a pic, with date stamp, just for future reference, as suggested by others here - and will keep a close eye on it as time proceeds.    Bike is at 636km from new.
L of S

Archived