2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 Won't stay running

I just bought a 2019 Yamaha tracer 900 with 780 miles on it at an online "AS IS" auction.  I went to pick it up and had to jump the bike to start it.  As soon as I took the jump cables off the bike, it died within 3 seconds.  Had to jump it to start it again and same story, as soon as I take cables off it dies.  The guy from the auction said that the battery was new and they had bought it 2 weeks ago and it looked new.  While bike was running and I revved it, I noticed the headlight flickering which seemed odd.  That tells me that there may be an electrical, generator, power distribution problem.  Is it possible that the stator is bad?  Seems very odd on a 3 year old bike with such low miles to have a stator go bad right?    I hate to order a stator replace it and not fix the problem.  Any things I can check to pinpoint the problem?  There is not a Yamaha dealer close to me.  Any insight guys?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's easy enough to test the output of the stator and battery with a voltmeter if the bike starts up I think it should be reading about 14 volts output and a fully charged battery should be about 12.7 volts, but I'm sure others on the forum with a lot more knowledge will be chipping in shortly with advice 

• Thumbsup 2

As above - it's more probable that the reg-rec is faulty or there is a bad earth.

I'd check earths [grounds] and do the above voltage checks.

Stators on motorcycles are run very differently to altenators on cars and do fail if other stuff malfunctions (they get shorted and burn out) - so the stator could be faulty.

• Thumbsup 1

First off, never trust a battery to be good that someone says “oh it’s been replaced”.

What’s the battery voltage key-off measured across the battery terminals? Now switch on the ignition, wait 30 seconds and measure it again while the key is on/engine off. If this measurement is less than 12v, charge the battery and repeat the test. If it fails this key-on voltage test, replace the battery. And don’t buy some junk battery off Amazon please, either support someone local to you or ask here for further suggestions  

Second, you cannot test the charging system without a good battery. There are static tests that can be performed on the stator windings but let’s start with the basics before we get crazy and tear stuff apart.

Report back with your results. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good news guys, I went to the Yamaha dealer and bought an overpriced battery from them.  Stuck it in the bike and its running with no issues at all!  Looks like the previous battery that the dealer claimed was "New" had a bad cell or perhaps the wrong battery.  Thank you all for all your input and insights!  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1