6+ months in, parts, upgrades, and a broken quickshifter

GeeAndTea

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out it wasn't my disks. Just winter salt on the road building up and locking the inside pads on both sides into place. Solution is to check/clean more often.

As for my quickshifter: Likely the clutch switch. Though i still need to find time to pull things apart and double check it's not something simple like a connector, wire, or fuse.

I totally agree with you on the fuel level indicator, basically worthless. Thank goodness I have ridden motorcycles for years without such luxuries and tend to rely more on the odometer/trip meter.

Hope you get the issue sorted out with your quick shifter !

47 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I totally agree with you on the fuel level indicator, basically worthless. Thank goodness I have ridden motorcycles for years without such luxuries and tend to rely more on the odometer/trip meter.

Hope you get the issue sorted out with your quick shifter !

True! I've had the 'luxury' of some utter dumpster-fire bikes early on, and had to rely on the trip meter if it worked, and an eye on the odometer if it didn't. Ahhh, memories! I don't miss those days, though...

On 3/20/2022 at 3:51 AM, GeeAndTea said:

had to rely on the trip meter

Fuel taps with reserve are an even more reliable mechanism. Too bad they've disappeared.

Best of all, the BMW R80 (and perhaps other models) had *two* fuel taps.  Switching to reserve on the first side told me I had 50km left, switching to reserve on the second side told me I had 25km left. The physical orientation of the taps unmistakably told you exactly what you had left.

Bullet-proof. Reliable. Simple. Probably the reason it got upgraded it to a costly digital sensor that is more or less useless. Bah humbug.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the modern doodahs, but unreliable fuel gages aint one of them.