Clutch lever bracket

Hi guys, I’m changing the handlebars for ones with more pull back. Is the only way of getting the clutch lever bracket off is by filing the edge of the lip at the end of the bars or am I missing something? Cheers

• Premium Member

Before you remove the bars from the clamps,I believe you need a 14 mm hex wrench to unscrew the barend insert at the end of the bar. The insert is threaded for the handguards. It's easier to unscrew the insert when the bars are clamped up.

Comprende?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

BTW, most new bars do not come internally threaded to accept the OEM bar end insert.  I drill and tap the bar ends using I believe a 16-1.5 mm tap.  Check chart for appropriate drill size and measure the ID of your bar but with the Renthal Street Naked bend and the other bar I had, their ID was close enough I didn't need to drill them out before tapping the threads.  Also measure overall length.  I trimmed about 12 mm off each end, first using a HS grinder with cutoff disc, then I got smart and slowly and carefully used a quality pipe cutter; much cleaner results.  Many bars have knurled clutch side surfaces that may need to be smoothed a bit to more easily install grips, especially reinstalling the OEM heated grips.  Another trick is filling the bar full and solid with copper coated steel BBs for significant vibration damping results.

• Thumbsup 1

Renthal  make a Fatbar equivalent of the 755 medium road bar called the 845. I’ve been using the 755 for over 20 years and it’s perfect for me with the right amount of pullback. Unfortunately nobody, including Renthal, have them in stock. I’ve got a spare 755 bar and have mounted that using some spacers to downsize. Very happy with the result, much more comfortable for me now, much more what I’m used to. These bars also have an insert with a 8mm thread which I made up a while ago, I’m thinking of putting the OEM mirrrors back so I can try my ZRX bar end weights. They weigh a hefty 230g each so be interesting to see if they cut down on vibration. 

6EC71569-E8CE-4EC4-9C25-30747ABD283E.jpeg

Yeah, I've got all my number plates back to 1978 when I first started out on a KH250. After the 250 there was a Suzuki GT750 'kettle' , Z1000J, Z1000Mk2, GPZ900, x2 Triumph sprints, a Speed Triple then eventually my current ZRX1200 and '77 Z1000A1. Not that many bikes considering 44 years of riding but I do tend to keep bikes for a long time, the ZRX & Z having seen me through the last 20 years. I'd always wanted another Triple and the Tracer was, for me, the perfect choice, light great riding position and that engine!

• Premium Member

Nice town, according to my youngest, who did a semester in Scotland in 15; though she never got on with your weather.  Of course she's not a fan of our weather either, and has fled to San Diego.  Who's to blame her, that's where here dad's from...

This officially makes it 50 for me because that's when I bought my BSA Bantam and haven't stopped since.  Rode starting in 70 but mainly dirt.  Also keep bikes for a while since 90 but had several I regret selling.  In the late 70s I bought and restored a few AJS and Matchless, so I'm partial to bikes that prefer your weather  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, missed your last msg. Yes, the weather can be a bit 'temperamental' here but when the sun does shine, man, you really appreciate it! Yeah, we all have bikes we regret selling, for me there's a couple but the GT750 kettle is at the top. Great bike, lovely sound and a surprisingly amount of torque for a two stroke.