Going for a Black Widow!

So, I've trawled through all of the interesting articles on this forum regarding modifying the original exhaust and had some kind people reply to my questions regarding this, but.....I've decided to go for what I've always wanted for this bike, a high level exhaust. All the bikes I've had have had a 'conventional' exhaust system ending with a can. My current bike of 20 years, the ZRX, has one and although I like the OEM exhaust I just know I'll not be happy until I get the exhaust I'm used to. The Yoshimura would be very nice but way out of my league. Fortunately Black Widow do a high level exhaust with a large selection of end cans and are very well priced. I've worked out that when I want to put the panniers on I'll get a link pipe made up so I can lower the pipe to avoid them. I'm looking at the longer 370mm and 400mm as I'm not wanting the exhaust to be too loud but still with a bit of 'depth' behind it. I know the round 370mm is 110mm in diameter, could someone measure their oval exhaust and give me the  dimensions top to bottom and width please, it does look a lot larger in the photos but it's hard to gauge the proportions. If anybody has had experience of these exhausts and the 300mm version and has any extra info/thoughts I'd be much obliged, cheers.

I'm all for personalisation and making the bike yours. One of the things I liked about the Tracer compared to my previous bikes was the low slung exhaust and how it didn't get in the way of panniers and loading the bike. My riding buddy put a black widow system on his GT 900 and it did sound awesome, Even from half a mile away through the intercoms, we always knew when he was catching us up. but he got fed up of the noise after a few weeks and reverted back to standard. Can't help with info on high level exhaust but would like to see pictures when you have the bike the way you want it.

• Thumbsup 2

I am thrilled with what I wound up doing to mine. I watched a lot of exhaust mod videos on YouTube and shopped around. I decided to go with the  Competition Werkes Slip-on. It LOOKS and sounds awesome. I knew it would be loud so I went ahead and got the Baffle, tried it like that but it was still too loud so I got some fiberglass and wrapped it, now it's perfect. 

I painted the front half of the exhaust black after I cut the 30 pound converter off. It wasn't hard to do. 

20220305_170253.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, Mark Jackson said:

I've decided to go for what I've always wanted for this bike, a high level exhaust. All the bikes I've had have had a 'conventional' exhaust system ending with a can.

If anybody has had experience of these exhausts and the 300mm version and has any extra info/thoughts I'd be much obliged, cheers.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of this exhaust except what I have read on the FZ09 forum.  Several owners originally bought the 300mm end can and found it too loud for their liking and ended up selling or replacing for the 400mm version.  That is the only info I have.

I agree with @HGP61, I too like personalizing the bike to make it your own or just a bit different than all the rest, if you like the high mount exhaust, go for it.  I will say that having a non conventional exhaust tucked away mostly under the bike is one of the features that I like about the FJ/ Tracer, its not like every other bike out there. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for your feedback guys. Yes I used to dislike the OEM exhaust and it was always in my mind to replace it with a high level can. Have to admit I’ve grown to like it but still going for the high level, it just feels right for me. A 400mm can was always on the cards as that’s what I’ve got on my ZRX and it’s just right regarding noise, enough to be pleasurable without being a pain. The thing with Black Widow is they also sell a baffle for the inlet side as well so If need be I can fine tune it more if required🤓 Anybody out there got the circumference measurements for the oval can?