wessie's seat base mod

wessie

• Premium Member
As with my Super Tenere, the seat of my Tracer seems to have a slight slope towards the tank. On a longer ride you gradually slide towards the tank with your arse sitting on the narrower part of the seat. This is more pronounced now I have switched from using my winter trousers made by Rukka as the summer ones made by Spada are a looser fit, so I slide inside them!

On the Super Ten the standard seat mod was to take some rubber bumpers from the seat of the XV1100 cruiser and stick them on the front of the seat. This raised the front of the seat making it more level.

So, with the same sort of thinking I found one of the original bumpers from the Super Tenere in a tin with some other odd fasteners, rawl plugs etc. This bumper is just under half the depth of the stock Tracer ones. Lewis, @ulewz, will be along soon with a measurement of the OE bumper to 4 decimal places, but on my ruler the stock bumpers are 20mm and the interloper is about 8mm.

Here's a picture of the underside of the seat - I have left 3 of the bumpers as stock and just fitted the 8mm one in the rear corner (nearest the rear of the bike as you look at it. The green earplugs are sitting on the points where the bumpers rest when the seat is fitted. ignore the bodge closest to the camera - I had to tape a suitable piece of rubber in place to equalise the height whilst I went for a ride.

2015-04-25%2017.23.05.jpg

A brief intermission whilst I went for a 70 mile ride.

It works! I am not sliding forward to the same extent when braking. In fact, the only time I noticed sliding forward was into a steep, downhill corner when I did make contact with my bollocks resting against the tank.

There isn't a great deal of movement in the seat with no rider sat on it - no more than the stock arrangement. When you sit on the seat you can hear a slight as the seat goes down a little to rest on the bumpers. The pictures above are taken after the ride and I could see no marks on the seat or bike where something made contact where it should not.

All I need now, is a similar sized bumper for the other side. I will adapt something. I could always decapitate on of the original ones.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I agree; my seating discomfort comes from being too far forward on the seat.

I had assumed it was because all of my motorcycling over the last 5 years has been off-road where you steer with the front wheel. Meaning you sit far forward.

This looks to be a very cost effective means of correction. Certainly its work trying, so thank you Mr. Wessie.

Now just to make sure I understand correctly, the rear rubbers are changed to thinner ones- right? Or are these 8mm bumpers added to the front? 

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Are you saying, wessie, that you didn't [em]raise[/em] the front of the seat with your 'interloper' bumpers, but [em]lowered[/em] the back?
L of S

• Premium Member
Yes, lower the rear on the Tracer (the reverse of the Super Ten method)

Decapitate the REAR bumpers, or fit thinner ones.

If you do chop the rear ones, do it neatly so you can glue them together if you want to go back to the stock position.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I finished the job off today by slicing a chunk off one of the originals, to match the 8mm one on the other side. The material is very soft and easy to cut with sharp penknife.

I have also trimmed the rear bumpers. Makes a modest, but apreciable difference.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Archived