Tracer 900 vs GT 2018/9 what should I buy

Wait, the 2018 non-GT does not have the TFT dash? That alone is worth it in my book. I consider getting an older bike and the LCD dashes always turns my off. I still like completely analogue but LCD is just so ugly to me now. I know it's very superficial but it is what it is. I've considered buying a 2012 multistrada or an older VFR but when I see that dash I realize I don't want to go back to that. I've done a few test rides with other new bikes and the Tracer 900 GT's TFT in dark mode is one of the best out there. It's just the right size too, don't like the big ones with too much info.

The GT has better suspension for sure, it's just still not very good, average at best.

The Tracer 9 is the first one with good suspension out of the box.

As many people on this forum will tell you, suspension is the best upgrade you can do. Even after saying all the above I think I would still choose the non-GT with Ohlins over the factory GT in a vacuum. 

5 hours ago, stringman said:

Im not sure what adjustments they have ( i know my bike has a special left to right twist adjustment!!!😀) but you can definitely change the springs  as I had mine changed -upgraded progressive I think

I'm just saying that the suspension tech seemed to find the KYB fork decent quality so that the spring, oil and seal upgrade would result in a good shock. The difference with Ohlins cartridges would only be noticeable on track according to him (that's where he spends most of his time on the Yamaha Racing team).

I'm not sure if the standard shock is also ok to do this with. I could be, I just don't know.

4 hours ago, petshark said:

Wait, the 2018 non-GT does not have the TFT dash? That alone is worth it in my book. I consider getting an older bike and the LCD dashes always turns my off. I still like completely analogue but LCD is just so ugly to me now. I know it's very superficial but it is what it is. I've considered buying a 2012 multistrada or an older VFR but when I see that dash I realize I don't want to go back to that. I've done a few test rides with other new bikes and the Tracer 900 GT's TFT in dark mode is one of the best out there. It's just the right size too, don't like the big ones with too much info.

The GT has better suspension for sure, it's just still not very good, average at best.

The Tracer 9 is the first one with good suspension out of the box.

As many people on this forum will tell you, suspension is the best upgrade you can do. Even after saying all the above I think I would still choose the non-GT with Ohlins over the factory GT in a vacuum. 

Yep the non gt has the mono lcd with 2 displays. Im not a great lover of it  but I have to be practical. The bike is a workhorse really. 

I have seen a lovely 19reg gt with grey paniers for £8150

Yet a tracer 900 68reg ( still 2019) with no paniers but arrow exhaust is £1200 cheaper- thats a lot of modifying,  thats the rear shock, front springs quick shifter and ecu flash!.

Just I think i should be sensible you go and tug at my emotions with your fancy tft screens 😀 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, petshark said:

I'm just saying that the suspension tech seemed to find the KYB fork decent quality so that the spring, oil and seal upgrade would result in a good shock. The difference with Ohlins cartridges would only be noticeable on track according to him (that's where he spends most of his time on the Yamaha Racing team).

I'm not sure if the standard shock is also ok to do this with. I could be, I just don't know.

Im trying to get to the bottom of the forks.

It seems the GT has fully adjustable kyb forks (can tell by the gold finish) the 2018 tracer also has kyb forks but less adjustment and I think the earlier models were different.

The Tracer 900 has a 41mm KYB front fork that’s adjustable for preload on both legs, and rebound damping on the right leg only. The KYB single shock is adjustable for preload using the C-spanner in the supplied tool-kit.

The Tracer 900 GT has a fully adjustable KYB fork (easily recognisable by its gold finish), and a KYB shock that’s adjustable for rebound damping and preload (in 25 steps) using a really handy remote adjuster.

Maybe someone else has done this upgrade on a non-GT shock? I'd check with a suspension tech if it's worth it to upgrade it.

If you have the funds I'd go with the GT but I've never been known to be sensible about these things and mine isn't a workhorse, it's a pleasure tool. :D

16 minutes ago, petshark said:

Maybe someone else has done this upgrade on a non-GT shock? I'd check with a suspension tech if it's worth it to upgrade it.

If you have the funds I'd go with the GT but I've never been known to be sensible about these things and mine isn't a workhorse, it's a pleasure tool. :D

Thanks for all the replies.

Im absolutely Gutted as I thought I had found the perfect bike, an 18 reg tracer900 with only 4000m. really good value and the money saved would have enabled me to do all the upgrades in one hit.

But someone beat me to it.

I am still awaiting confirmation that my shock will fit an 18 bike(non GT) if it does then its a no brainer to but a standard tracer as I would only need to pay to upgrade the front- thinking of new springs and pistons. That and a reflash and the bike would be perfect ( apart from the dash lol)

Backing up for just a moment, I noticed:

On 4/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, stringman said:

most of my riding is town riding ( except the 15mile each way motorway stretch) but everyone raves about it so maybe its  a " it would be nice" thing.

The real crux for me is the suspension.

I guess my question is, why are you so focussed on suspension if most of your riding is around town and motorway riding?

Is it that your "around town" roads are really crappy and you need superior suspension to compensate?

I'm asking because most people focus on after-market suspension because they are either carrying larger loads, running two-up or are something of a boy-racer who wants superior suspension when making a high-speed run thru twisty roads.

Entirely up to you of course, but if most of my riding was around town with a bit of ho-hum motorway, the last thing I'd be concerned about is replacing the stock suspension.

4 minutes ago, ZigMerid said:

Backing up for just a moment, I noticed:

I guess my question is, why are you so focussed on suspension if most of your riding is around town and motorway riding?

Is it that your "around town" roads are really crappy and you need superior suspension to compensate?

I'm asking because most people focus on after-market suspension because they are either carrying larger loads, running two-up or are something of a boy-racer who wants superior suspension when making a high-speed run thru twisty roads.

Entirely up to you of course, but if most of my riding was around town with a bit of ho-hum motorway, the last thing I'd be concerned about is replacing the stock suspension.

That is a very valid point.

Bit of backstory. Back in 2015 I had an old triumph sprint rs, I loved that bike, it was a fairly weighty bike but i could hussle that round the twist lanes where I live. That died and I thought i would go for a bit more upright so tried the tiger 800- hated it and tried the 2015 tracer. I liked it but never really gelled with it or felt confident with the way it took corners. New tyres helped lots but it just felt to figety and skittery for me. Anyway that bike got stolen and i got a 17 plate. this time i spoke to a suspnsion guy who changed the front springs and set it up  and then put the Nitron R1 on.

It transformed the bike.

So now getting a new bike i would at least want the same standard. 

13 hours ago, stringman said:

That is a very valid point.

Bit of backstory. Back in 2015 I had an old triumph sprint rs, I loved that bike, it was a fairly weighty bike but i could hussle that round the twist lanes where I live. That died and I thought i would go for a bit more upright so tried the tiger 800- hated it and tried the 2015 tracer. I liked it but never really gelled with it or felt confident with the way it took corners. New tyres helped lots but it just felt to figety and skittery for me. Anyway that bike got stolen and i got a 17 plate. this time i spoke to a suspnsion guy who changed the front springs and set it up  and then put the Nitron R1 on.

It transformed the bike.

So now getting a new bike i would at least want the same standard. 

I agree with @ZigMeridthat the GT suspension is certainly good enough for city and highway riding. It is a budget bike and the upgraded GT suspension is better than before but "it transformed the bike" is exclusive to the better aftermarket solutions I fear. You don't need it but it makes riding the thing so much more fun, especially on twisty roads.

On a Ducati, BMW or KTM that great suspension is often included. But a GT with upgraded suspension is so much cheaper and to me felt like the superior bike compared against a KTM Super adventure 1290 full option. So the upgrade is expensive but it's actually very cheap for the total package.

2 minutes ago, petshark said:

I agree with @ZigMeridthat the GT suspension is certainly good enough for city and highway riding. It is a budget bike and the upgraded GT suspension is better than before but "it transformed the bike" is exclusive to the better aftermarket solutions I fear. You don't need it but it makes riding the thing so much more fun, especially on twisty roads.

On a Ducati, BMW or KTM that great suspension is often included. But a GT with upgraded suspension is so much cheaper and to me felt like the superior bike compared against a KTM Super adventure 1290 full option. So the upgrade is expensive but it's actually very cheap for the total package.

Thanks for the replies.

I have just seen advertised a 19 reg GT with Ohlins on it ( but set up for 30stone- far too stiff for me) and the price is as good as a tracer 900 from a dealer) just trying to confirm 100% if my nitron shock will fit on the gt ( otherwise its having to re spring the ohlins

• Thumbsup 1