Setting Sag-- Why Bother?

So here is my question...

If we are going to adjust pre-load up n down to get what "feels right" when riding, why bother to initially set pre-load for 45mm of sag?

Is the sag setting a motorcyclist myth or what?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

21 minutes ago, nhchris said:

If we are going to adjust pre-load up n down to get what "feels right" when riding, why bother to initially set pre-load for 45mm of sag?

Is the sag setting a motorcyclist myth or what?

Sag is the baseline setting with your particular weight on the bike.  Easier to reach your desired outcome with a known quantity than just poking in the dark blind so to speak.

Preload setting will vary according to total suspension travel, you typically want about 30%

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

You don't set sag for  "what feels right", you set the compression and rebound damping for that.  Preload sets tension on the spring and gets it in a height to determine if it is the correct spring rate range for your weight.  (I'm very loose with the terminology just to give you the basic idea).

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

To quote the summary from someone with expert knowledge...

• Setting the sag allows the bike to have the correct compromise for dealing with both bumps and holes. Preload adjusts sag (and so ride-height), not stiffness. However it can change stiffness in unexpected ways due to rebound springs and progressive linkage systems

• Too much sag/too little preload will make the bike feel: harsh on bumps, twitchy (front) or slow turning (rear).

• Too little sag/too much preload will make the bike feel: skittish on bumps when accelerating (front) or braking (rear), twitchy (rear) or slow-turning (rear).

I'm thinking that these dot points answer your subject heading directly.  i.e. this is why you bother. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1