Tracer 9 GT pannier lock issue + unknown extras with new bike

Hey all finally got a 2022 Tracer 9 GT!  Love it.

1 issue: I cannot rotate the pannier lock to the "open lid only" position.

You're supposed to be able to rotate the key clockwise into a position that allows only the lid to be opened.  Counter-clockwise puts it into a position where the handle can be lifted and the panniers removed from the bike.  I can go counter-clockwise, but it takes like way more force than it seems like it should.  That position does allow the lids to also be opened so I can at least get in them that way.

I've jiggled these key to no end, but I simply can not turn it to the open lid position.

Are the key cylinders installed by the dealer - is this something they fudged up?

Also what the heck are these.  They were in my "goodie bag" with the tool kit*, manual, and extra key, but the dealer couldn't tell me what they were and I was so excited to get the bike and go for a ride that I didn't push for him to check with the service guy.  They sure look like something that would hold a key cylinder...

Tracer9_thing.thumb.jpg.b166b6f632427fe6de98283b616cb8d3.jpg

* I used the term "kit" very loosely as it contained literally a single double ended wrench LOL.

Edited by stevesweetz

I posted a similar issue with mine:

Try turning the key to the left and then push the button. I believe the dealer does install the lock (had some paperwork indicating such) and perhaps there is an orientation needed to properly install. I plan to take mine apart later today to take a look, will keep you posted. Mine only happens on one pannier case and so far I'm just dealt with it sadly.

Incredibly annoying how cheap these locks feel too. The pieces you pictures looks to be the locking mechanism holders but does that mean you have a gap around your locks currently or perhaps these were extra?

I fixed it.  The locks were installed incorrectly.

You have to take the pannier apart to correct it.  I made a video about which I will try to upload today.

I'm guessing those metal rings were just what the lock cylinders shipped in, probably they're shared parts and used with a different bike.  This does suggest the lock cylinders are installed by the dealer.

Edited by stevesweetz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve!! Glad you got it sorted out and were able to document the process. Looks like I don't have enough beer for this one so it may have to wait a bit, haha. What a mess to get to the lock...🤪

So, when I arrived at the dealer to pick up the new bike and ride it home, it wasn’t ready to go at the appointed time. Salesman said it was because the pannier locks have to be keyed to the ignition key, and the shop was swamped with work. The panniers were not attached to my bike while it was on the floor. I assumed the panniers are shipped in a separate container and not mated to a bike until the bike is sold and delivered. If the bags are shipped with the individual bike then there’d be no logical reason they wouldn’t be keyed to that bike in Japan. I asked the salesman if that is true and he said “yes.”  One argument against that is the color differences between the red and black.

My first impression of the Tracer bags is they are ugly and cheap. Nothing as luxo as my FJR bags had been. As far as easy to open and close, Tracer bags are about the same. They are easier to put on and take off. I use the dickens out of panniers. They open and close a dozen times every single day. If these Tracer bags are truly cheap I will know it before long. 

4 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

@Bernard

Hopefully this helps.  Forgive the production quality, I am not a professional videoist ;)

Just adding the factory installation manual on the locks to this post in case others do find themselves in a similar situation. They claim it should take only 12 minutes to install oddly.

Your video is super helpful and may have me getting mine fixed soon-- too much to work on lately!

Jk1M6EW.jpg

yBHKGgt.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh LOL, wish I had those.  I guess I didn't need to take the whole thing apart to remove the lock assembly, you can just remove the top cover.

However, what garbage instructions on Yamaha's part that they do not point out that the cylinder stop ring needs to be mounted in a specific orientation.

• Haha 1

Both done and key turns to the 3 positions and works much better but still not high quality lock or bag but a least their light,I only use them on trips few times a year there sufficient for that 

thanx so much for the fix I’d have never figured that out on my own….

first Yamaha in some time

curious how they are a high speeds 90 + this a bike is relatively light,will find out soon 

anyone put a steering damper on one?

Looks like you have fixed the issue. I was going to find my instructions for you. When I received my bike back at the end of June '21 they didn't have the bags ready yet but they sent me home with the cylinders for the panniers. I received the panniers in maybe August and installed the locks myself. The instructions seemed pretty straight forward and the extra bits were there for myself as well. They panniers have held up well enough but I haven't used them on any trips longer than a few days. I am satisfied with them overall. 

They hold up well, as well as GIVI V35 in my opinion.  Used them last July in the Wisconsin twisties near the Mississippi river north by Winona MN.  The only drawback I have is that you can't fit a laptop in them, the SHAD SH45 top case has that covered.

I think these Tracer panniers are “tough enough.”  I use mine all day every day. My Tracer is my transportation. I don’t “tour.”  Every time I get on or off, one or both of them open and close.

These are nowhere near as svelte as the FJR bags but they are more useful. They seem to hold more stuff.

As far as high speeds, I have cruised for extended periods between 90 and 100 mph and have never experienced any adverse handling. No wiggles or woggles at speed. I can’t even tell they’re there.