wiring up additional lights/indicators/handguards

So New bike means loads of mods to be done.

On my old bike  I had handguards with DRL on them, Indicators with DRL and a set of LED DRL.

Pretty sure I took the power feed from the aux 2 port and all was good. So unless advice on here differs I will do that.

Now where it gets (mildly) interesting is that the new handguards I have got have DRL and Indicator.

I am toying with mounting them to the lower screw fixing of the indicator panel. or possibly get a bracket  going across from the top fixing.

So my plan was this.

From the aux 2 wiring  run 2 wires(one each side) down to the  inside of the indicator panels.

That would then spilt 3 ways to feed the indicator and handguard drl and the drl

The indicator negative then splits 3 ways for the earth

The indicator positive splits 2 ways for the indicator and handguard.

Does that sound ok and the current used is pretty low.

The DRL has  an option to flash ( yes I no its naughty and not allowed) via a 3rd wire. What I would really like is for this option to kick when the hazards are switched on (but only the hazards not the indicators on their own)

The only option I can see is to tap off the from the actual hazard switch. Any other options?

Finally what way do you prefer to join/ splice your wires?  Its not so bad in the hidden panels but in exposed areas I want it as neat as possible.

I generally solder the wires and heatshrink the join and then heatshrink  again. But this doesnt make for easy removal.

On the tali tidy I have been fitting I have indicators with tail light and brake light and some led striplight on the topbox  with the same. I have used bullet connectors for easy removal but it looks a right mess as I have had to make splitter cables as the brake light now has 5 separate outputs.

Thanks in advance 

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, stringman said:

Finally what way do you prefer to join/ splice your wires?  Its not so bad in the hidden panels but in exposed areas I want it as neat as possible.

I generally solder the wires and heatshrink the join and then heatshrink  again. But this doesnt make for easy removal.

Do a search on ebay for 'Yamaha FJ-09' connectors and you will find plug n play connectors that simplify things and make reversal easy.

Screenshot_20201125-151512_eBay.jpg

• Thumbsup 1