Tanklock mod pics for Petshark

Hi Petshark,

Here are the pics. I used metal spacers under the tanklock ring to raise it up at the front high enough to clear the plastic piece.

The front / center one is about 3/8 of an inch and the two on the side are about 1/4 of an inch. I have a bench grinder, so it was easy to modify the spacers until I got it right. Then I realized the fuel filler wouldn't open all the way because the tank ring wasn't flat, so I had to cut out the center portion at the back. And that is also why I used the top three holes. Finally, I JB Welded the ring and flange together for extra strength. And I like JB Weld. 

I sounds more complicated than it was, and it works great. Let me know if this isn't helpful.

For everyone else: I would have sent this in a PM to Petshark, but don' know how to link pics from a URL. Sorry!

Cheers!

Craig

P1000531.JPG

P1000532.JPG

P1000533.JPG

P1000534.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot! 

I had also done some experimentation but I couldn't get it high enough with the tools at my disposal. That does look neat. I don't have a bench grinder but I also have a different design. It's a Yamaha (SW Motech) tank ring and that consists of a plastic hollow piece screwed onto a metal part. I tried to add some spacers between the two but it wasn't high enough and to my surprise it didn't even work on the 900 anymore. Adding a spacer bends the plastic part which isn't even visible but causes the latch system to no longer have a secure grip. This locking system uses tiny tolerances! No surprise that the tank bag let go a while ago after a cantered U turn gone bad. :)

Sorry, I didn't know how different the SW Motech and Tanklock systems were. 

I would say I'm surprised SW or Givi haven't come up with a solution for the T9GT, but I'm really more surprised that Yamaha designed the bike with that plastic piece in the way in the first place.

Probably the same guy who designed the seat...

Cheers!

Craig

6 minutes ago, Craig in Alabama said:

Sorry, I didn't know how different the SW Motech and Tanklock systems were. 

I would say I'm surprised SW or Givi haven't come up with a solution for the T9GT, but I'm really more surprised that Yamaha designed the bike with that plastic piece in the way in the first place.

Probably the same guy who designed the seat...

Cheers!

Craig

They do have one for the T9GT:

GIVI Tanklock Tank Ring for Street BF23 80-6034 3502-0284 270-6048

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334145363315

I've got it on mine and it works great.. the weird triangle sticker it came with to protect the black plastic near the key don't do much though.