ERMAX /Motomachies Sport & Touring Windscreen

The current models of Ermax Windshields, such as the ones found at Motomachine are flawed. They can only be installed in the lowest position. Your hand guards will come in contact with the shield if it is raised even slightly. I've let Motomachines know but who knows if it will reach Ermax. Also, a note on where the air will hit you. I'm 5'10" and the sport screen hits just to my shoulders, effectively directing the air underneath the rear of my helmet, increasing wind noise but no helmet shake. The touring model hits the middle of my helmet shield effectively causing the annoying helmet shake. If you're looking for total coverage, I would recommend the touring model, cut off the badly designed flanges, add an extension (i.e. X-Creen), and raise it a bit. These photos are of the shield in the LOWEST position with the bars at full left lock...

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/2A7692E4-4865-4606-80B5-17BCD2BA97D5_zpstjmf92od.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/6D2E7D40-447D-45CA-AD23-1CCDB3E46475_zpsbodi8ydb.jpg 

Guest bmidd
The current models of Ermax Windshields, such as the ones found at Motomachine are flawed. They can only be installed in the lowest position. Your hand guards will come in contact with the shield if it is raised even slightly. I've let Motomachines know but who knows if it will reach Ermax. Also, a note on where the air will hit you. I'm 5'10" and the sport screen hits just to my shoulders, effectively directing the air underneath the rear of my helmet, increasing wind noise but no helmet shake. The touring model hits the middle of my helmet shield effectively causing the annoying helmet shake. If you're looking for total coverage, I would recommend the touring model, cut off the badly designed flanges, add an extension (i.e. X-Creen), and raise it a bit. These photos are of the shield in the LOWEST position with the bars at full left lock... 
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/2A7692E4-4865-4606-80B5-17BCD2BA97D5_zpstjmf92od.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/6D2E7D40-447D-45CA-AD23-1CCDB3E46475_zpsbodi8ydb.jpg 
Mine don't hit. I will take pictures for you when I get time. I have the touring model and I get no buffeting no matter what the position of the screen. I'm 6'4" and long torso.

I have the Touring screen set to Hi position and my handgaurds only contact screen at full lock . This is only an issue when trying to engage steering lock , and has never been an issue while riding , even when doing low speed manuvers .

Guest bmidd
Well I double checked and mine hit at full lock in the high position only. Thinking about getting the dremel out and doing a bit of a trim on the shield. Not that I really use full lock, but now my OCD has found a new target...

Well I double checked and mine hit at full lock in the high position only. Thinking about getting the dremel out and doing a bit of a trim on the shield. Not that I really use full lock, but now my OCD has found a new target...
Can you change the tilt of the hand guards to prevent contact. Just curious. Could make the angle uncomfortable for the levers because I think they are tied together. Just curious if it's possible.

Guest bmidd
Can you change the tilt of the hand guards to prevent contact. Just curious. Could make the angle uncomfortable for the levers because I think they are tied together. Just curious if it's possible.
They are most likely coming off for the summer. I have large hands and tend to ride with just my thumb and forefinger on the bars when riding so the bar ends hit the middle of my palm, I still haven't grown accustomed to having my whole hand on the grip. Force of habit from clip-ons I guess.

Guest rszk
I have the touring screen and I am able to get full lock on both sides with the screen only getting slightly grazed by the hand guards. Therefore I haven't had any issues and keep the screen on high position.

I have the touring screen and I am able to get full lock on both sides with the screen only getting slightly grazed by the hand guards. Therefore I haven't had any issues and keep the screen on high position.
Same here.  When I mean slightly grazed, I mean SLIGHTLY. 

• 1 month later...
Same here.  When I mean slightly grazed, I mean SLIGHTLY. 
Yes, same with mine. I did adjust the angle of the hand guards down a bit and now they just barely touch the Ermax Sport, which doesn't bother me. I know I can get full lock. As far as redirecting wind, I'm 5' 7" and was not pleased with it as others have also stated. Maybe 6' plus riders could benefit from the Sport model. Looks real nice if that is all you want and your shorter. But don't expect it to redirect wind well. I raised up at least another 6" on my pegs while in the lowest position before I found clean air @ 55, 65. High adjustment hits in the middle of my shield and low is just at my chin vent.   
I then purchased #10 x 32, the size needed, stainless steel Allen headed screws. 1", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4"  long as the std OEM plastic screws are  3/4". I got two 3/4" Allen for top screw replacement also. Wishing I could have access to even longer ones for the bottom but that was as long as they had. Though now I know 2" would not have made enough difference. Also picked up some plastic spacers and proceeded to shim out the bottom 3/4" first then a full 1". Had to bend the 2 top support ears with rubber bumpers over towards the tank just a bit for the screen to fit flush and went for another test ride.

The satin gray Ermax Sport looks great on the matte gray FJ but as far as wind deflection goes, not so good. Its only better then stock because of its appearance IMO. I'm now contemplating cutting down a $135.00 screen which I'll probably end up doing. Was it worth the purchase for the appearance? I want it to look good but I want clean air even more. If Ermax could design it to get the wind at my chest, I'd be very happy. Just like many others here would be. If anybody at Moto Machines is monitoring, maybe bring this to Ermax's attention. Some further R & D and shorter Sport model screens would be greatly appreciated.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

I have the Ermax touring and have it touch at medium and high settings at full lock as well.  I can still lock the handlebars by turning all the way tot he left until touching the screen.  I have noticed the bars can 'pop' into the contour of the screen there if i push a bit and it flexes the screen.  I was riding at low, but on a long trip put it in the high position and it didn't affect me at all during riding.  I will say the vents will allow some water through at highway speeds with a heavy rain, but nothing too substantial.  I was willing to live with it over stock, as it removes the buffeting for me.  Still pretty loud, but the buffeting would give me such a bad headache after about an hour.  

• 2 months later...
Talking about issues with the Ermax, have you guys noticed page 11 of the manual?

WARNING ABOUT SUN
- Since 1998, the plastics of new speedometers melt and get out of
shape at 70°C instead of 200 °C ! It’s imperative to protect your speedometers
when your motorbike is parked at sun or in front of a white
wall. No guarantee / exchange / refund will be awarded in the event
of a disaster.

on the french FJ forum, a few owners have reported that the plastic has melted on their bike. Apparently, Puig has the same type of issue but provides some kind of cover.
So I guess it means you can only ride your bike at night  (rofl)

20150811.jpg642537IMG2548.jpg

Archived