YZF-R9 finally arriving

texscottyd

• Supporting Member

It looks like the YZF-R9 that has been discussed & rumored for years is finally close to appearing.  It’s such an obvious model, I’m honestly surprised it has taken Yamaha this long to produce: 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/yamaha-yzf-r9-coming-soon/

FEBFF436-C922-491D-B4C0-9F7608E48C2B.thumb.jpeg.6332ed4bbcb10b726cf4468f45953757.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

It looks like the YZF-R9 that has been discussed & rumored for years is finally close to appearing.  It’s such an obvious model, I’m honestly surprised it has taken Yamaha this long to produce: 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/yamaha-yzf-r9-coming-soon/

FEBFF436-C922-491D-B4C0-9F7608E48C2B.thumb.jpeg.6332ed4bbcb10b726cf4468f45953757.jpeg

Looks like it’s new bike time for me :)  I’ve been saying since my first ride on an FZ-09 in ‘14 this motor needs to be in a sportbike chassis. Yes!!!!

• Thumbsup 1

They seem to think it'll be an MT-09 with a fairing tacked on. In that case, Yamaha can keep the Tupperware; naked is better.

But I suspect that is not accurate. Egos and perhaps suspension and geometry may be different.

However they do it, more triples on the road are a good thing!

• Thumbsup 3

I used to participate in track days but sold my track bike in 2013 and said I was done.

Count me as one of those who imagined how good the Yamaha triple would be in a proper sport bike chassis.  This might just be the thing that draws me back to doing track days again.  Sport bike ergonomics suck on the street but I never got uncomfortable riding my CBR on the track as the sessions were usually about 20 to 30 minutes long and the adrenaline seemed to be a natural antidote for being a bit cramped.

Can't wait to see this bike become reality!!!

Barber April 2012.jpg

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

15 hours ago, bwringer said:

They seem to think it'll be an MT-09 with a fairing tacked on. In that case, Yamaha can keep the Tupperware; naked is better.

But I suspect that is not accurate. Egos and perhaps suspension and geometry may be different.

However they do it, more triples on the road are a good thing!

I hope they don’t do an “R7” to it and make it uncomfortable as hell and only useable on the track. Would be nice if it was more in the vein of my Supersport with livable ergos but still sporty.

I went down to eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina 2 weeks ago and had brought the Tracer and my Supersport. Plus for the first time in years I actually ran the Dragon AND managed to run it on both bikes (we had a new member in the group I go with and we wanted him to experience the Gap and the Skyway). I don’t go much more than a 70-80% pace on the road anymore and was doing more of a 60% pace because the road was absolutely covered in wet leaves plus my 73 year old dad was on his ‘21 XSR900 behind me so I didn’t want him to try to keep pace so I slowed up a bit. Somewhat surprisingly the Tracer GT was really in its element and was easy to make speed on, and I had no troubles keeping up with my buddy on his 600RR. It was easier to keep pace and I had way more overhead to go faster on the Supersport, a big twin and Ohlins suspension setup for your weight and riding style will do that, but for an almost stock sport touring bike, the GT was a blast. Had it been warmer and the road cleaner, the difference might have been smaller yet. 

All I could think of, however, was if I put that Yamaha motor in that Ducati chassis………

• Like 1